DDAL Racism and DDAL4-1 [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCanine

First Post
Um, no. Nobody gets to determine context for me, but me. If my self-determined context is different from yours and you incorrectly apply your context to me, you are the one in the wrong and any offense taken is your fault, not mine.

This is the type of empathy the world needs more of. I mean, just look at the words:

me, me, my self-determined, you incorrectly, me, you are in the wrong, your fault, not mine.

I could try and reason against this, but there's certainly no arguing against such textbook egocentrism.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is the type of empathy the world needs more of. I mean, just look at the words:

me, me, my self-determined, you incorrectly, me, you are in the wrong, your fault, not mine.

The alternative is victim. I'm not going to be the victim of your (universal you) context. You don't get to put your (universal you) hang-ups on me.

RCanine

First Post
The alternative is victim. I'm not going to be the victim of your (universal you) context. You don't get to put your (universal you) hang-ups on me.

Here's another way to say the same thing:

I don't care if I say something that is hurtful to you. Your feelings are none of my concern.

It's a free country and you're allowed to feel that way if you'd like, but I expect you to be very lonely as a result.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Here's another way to say the same thing:

You can continue to misconstrue what I say if you like, it's not going to make you correct, though it might make you feel better.

It's a free country and you're allowed to feel that way if you'd like, but I expect you to be very lonely as a result.

You're going to be disappointed then.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
If someone invests to the point where in game racism becomes out of game racism, that's 100% on them and 0% the responsibility of the game. At that point, they should take a step back and probably play a different game.

In our world, this attitude is called 'blaming the victim'. ("Oh, you got sexually assaulted? Well, you shouldn't have been wearing that outfit, then.") It's a good way to avoid any responsibility for something bad that happened, but that doesn't make it the right or correct way to deal with something bad that happened.

--
Pauper

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In our world, this attitude is called 'blaming the victim'. ("Oh, you got sexually assaulted? Well, you shouldn't have been wearing that outfit, then.")

That is only true if you ignore what I have been saying. First huge flaw in your theory there. I have been talking explicitly about minor things. Sexual assault is not minor. Second huge flaw there. I am talking about racism, not about crimes.

Essentially, if I have an orange house and someone walks by who is offended by the color orange, that's on them. I have no obligation to change my house just because someone decided to be offended by something trivial. That person should go get therapy and get over his problem.

This issue here is on par with being offended by the color orange. If someone is going to be offended due to real world racism by something that has absolutely nothing to do with real world racism, that's on him. The game company shouldn't be expected to cater to something so minor.

This entire thread is pretty silly in my opinion. The Romani people comprise 0.32% of the American population. Combine that with the fact that D&D players are also a very, very small percentage of the population. Essentially, we here are debating a sliver of a sliver. Now add to that the triviality of the issue and that most of the Romani are probably rational enough to understand the difference between a game and the real world, so aren't offended, and there are probably more people offended here in this thread on their behalf than there are offended Romani.

RCanine

First Post
I am talking about racism, not about crimes.

It's like the jokes keep writing themselves.

Essentially, if I have an orange house and someone walks by who is offended by the color orange, that's on them. I have no obligation to change my house just because someone decided to be offended by something trivial.

Clearly you don't live in a place with an HOA. I PUT A LEIN ON YOUR HOUSE BECAUSE YOU HUNG YOUR CLOTHES OUT TO DRY MUA HA HA HAHA.

The Romani people comprise 0.32% of the American population.

At what percentage of the population do people warrant being treated decently by the people around them? 3/5?

I'm not actually willing to debate your post, because it's pretty clear you lack awareness of your own privilege, and aren't really interested remedying that. But I hope you reply again because I enjoy your arguments.

Dracoprimus

First Post
Essentially, if I have an orange house and someone walks by who is offended by the color orange, that's on them. I have no obligation to change my house just because someone decided to be offended by something trivial. That person should go get therapy and get over his problem.

This issue here is on par with being offended by the color orange. If someone is going to be offended due to real world racism by something that has absolutely nothing to do with real world racism, that's on him. The game company shouldn't be expected to cater to something so minor.

Are you seriously equating a racist slur to house color? The context is there, no matter how much you want to shove your head in the sand about that context.

"Well, I'm only being an :):):):):):):) towards like 5 people", you are STILL being an :):):):):):):).

WHY are you in this board, still arguing this? This board is for Adventurers League. The admins of AL have acknowledged that this is a valid concern. The admins have clearly stated that the AL policy is to be respectful to those of Romani descent(regardless of how many or how few there might be) and that AL games are NOT to use a word that is widely known to be a slur. If you can't, or won't follow AL policy, then maybe you shouldn't be involved in this organized play program. But, honestly, NO organized play program is going to support your view. There is NOTHING in your view that is compatible with a goal of being inclusive.

delericho

Legend
Essentially, if I have an orange house and someone walks by who is offended by the color orange, that's on them. I have no obligation to change my house just because someone decided to be offended by something trivial.

There are parts of Northern Ireland and parts of Glasgow where painting your house orange absolutely would be considered a deliberate insult.

Cascade

First Post
It's like the jokes keep writing themselves.

I'm not actually willing to debate your post, because it's pretty clear you lack awareness of your own privilege, and aren't really interested remedying that. But I hope you reply again because I enjoy your arguments.

ah there it is...the progressive agenda:
"You are wrong. I am right and because you cannot admit you are wrong, you are privileged and racist and the people in right must make you see it."

you can see all of the steps.

first- ask nicely to change how the offender thinks and perceives what you want.
if they don't agree - be slightly mean and try get popular acceptance.
If that doesn't work - find a victim of the cause and shame the offender.
If that doesn't work, make it personal and use racism or other hot topic catch phrases.
If that doesn't work, change laws to force compliance.

You can see all of these steps in the above thread.

what's that ?... ignore button...never had to use, but I'll see how it works.

/facepalm - bringing real world issues into a fantasy thread discussion on background flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads