• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ragna Blade

Aleolus

First Post
OK, here's another spell from Slayers I statted up. Epic level this time, give me opinions!

Ragna Blade
Conjuration
Spellcraft DC: 80 (approximatly)
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 2 rounds
Range: Special
Target: Special
Duration: Concentration
Spell Resistance: No
Saving Throw: None

Effect: Casting this spell conjures up a Huge longsword which the caster may use without penalty. This sword has the Brilliant Energy, Flaming, Electric, Vorpal, Ghost Touch and Outsider Bane enchantments on it. This longsword deals 4d8 points of damage and has a crit range of 10-20 x5. This longsword can affect any creature in any plane of existance that overlaps or crosses the plane the caster is present on, and ignores all miss chance due to concealment or invisibility.
For every round that the caster wishes to maintain this swords presence, they must succeed on a Concentration check, DC 20, +10 for each round after the first.
XP: Casting this spell costs 5000 XP.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
That's a very short duration and absolutely massive damage. The crit range and multiplier are very large too.

Blackdirge, Sepulchrave, and Cheiromancer are the masters here.

Let's do the math. We're going to base this off a 30th level caster.

The seed is Energy: Force (19) with 3 types for a base of DC 57.

We have the Destroy seed for a base DC 29, but we want 60d6 for +80 DC. Making it require a combat hit roll adds +4 to the DC too. Total DC so far 170

The base casting time is 1 minute. Changing that to 2 rounds adds 16 to the DC. IMO this is silly - it should be 1 round tops (+18 DC), but better 1 action (+20DC). Total DC 190

We'll make the duration 3 rounds: this adds +4 DC. DC 194 so far

The spell is currently subject to SR and has a saving throw. Ad hoc x2 for each (so x3 together). DC 582.

Not really worth going on.

Maldor

First Post
Quartz said:
That's a very short duration and absolutely massive damage. The crit range and multiplier are very large too.

Blackdirge, Sepulchrave, and Cheiromancer are the masters here.

Let's do the math. We're going to base this off a 30th level caster.

The seed is Energy: Force (19) with 3 types for a base of DC 57.

We have the Destroy seed for a base DC 29, but we want 60d6 for +80 DC. Making it require a combat hit roll adds +4 to the DC too. Total DC so far 170

The base casting time is 1 minute. Changing that to 2 rounds adds 16 to the DC. IMO this is silly - it should be 1 round tops (+18 DC), but better 1 action (+20DC). Total DC 190

We'll make the duration 3 rounds: this adds +4 DC. DC 194 so far

The spell is currently subject to SR and has a saving throw. Ad hoc x2 for each (so x3 together). DC 582.

Not really worth going on.

I think you Stated that spell way wrong for how it's writen. It would be a creation seed to make the magic sword and maybe Destroy for the extra damage but i think this is still a very inaccuret and inefficent way to copy that spell

Maldor

First Post
Try this

Ragna Blade
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 89
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: touch
Target: one creature or object
Duration: 5 rounds
Spell Resistance: yes
Saving Throw: None

Effect: Casting this spell conjures up a sword made of void which the caster may use without penalty(treat as melee touch attack). The blade deal 30d10 and crits like a touch spell 20/x2 this damage is nonelement energy if a creature dies becuase of this damage it turn to dust as per disintegrate and can effect force effects like disintegrate.

We have the Destroy seed for a base DC 29, but we want 30d6 for +20 DC. Making it require a combat hit roll adds +4 to the DC too.

The base casting time is 1 minute. Changing that to 1 round adds +18 to the DC.

We'll make the duration 5 rounds: this adds +8 DC.

Increase damage die type 2 time +20 to DC

1000 XP to cast - 10 to the DC

Total DC 89

P.S. has no save becuase you turned it in to a touch attack spell
also as a good genrall rule when amkeing any spell try to keep it simple.

Aleolus

First Post
But I like having a massive crit range and high multiplier. Means critting always deals mega damage. How about bumping the XP cost to 5000, and making the changes the WotC website suggested, as quoted below.

Just a general critique, epic spells never scale with caster level. If you gain a level and get more powerful, you're expected to make a new epic spell.

So I changed it, which I edited in above. Critique me more, please! I want to make this the best it can!

Maldor

First Post
Aleolus said:
But I like having a massive crit range and high multiplier. Means critting always deals mega damage.

well then get remove ether vorpal or the x5 crit it's redundit if it's immunne to vorpal then it immune to crits and visea versa
make it a keen, vorpal, skilled, brilliant energy +5 hugh falchion
that 3d6+5, +1.5 str mod 15-20/death crit that is a touch attack

Remove ads