D&D 5E Raiders of the Serpent Sea Is A Preview of 5E Norse Mythology For Free!

raiders-of-the-serpent-sea-players-guide-pdf-free-modiphius-entertainment-847869_1200x.jpg

Arcanum Worlds, a Canada-based RPG publisher formed by ex Bioware / EA videogame developers, is preparing for a new Kickstarter-funded adventure path/campaign setting. Their previous outing was the dense and successful Greek mythology-inspired Odyssey of the Dragonlords, notable for having some world-altering plot twists and being structured around gated 'open world' sections that lead to more linear and spectacular setpieces, a design philosophy seemingly carried over from videogames. They also introduced the idea of 'epic paths' which were unique story beats for players who commit to them.

Their next outing Raiders of the Serpent Sea seems to be in a similar vein, this time using Norse mythology and viking culture as an inspiration. They just released the Player's Guide for free at Modiphius and Drivethrurpg.

Raiders of the Serpent Sea is an epic fantasy campaign for fifth edition D&D. The Player's Guide introduces the world of Grimnir, its origins, and major historical events. Learn about the cursed gods known as the Stone Court, the wealthy kingdoms that threaten the raiders, and the power of sacrifice. Features:
  • New Class Archetypes. Includes ranger, bard, and wizard archetypes that help bring to life the various raider clans.
  • New Player Races. Includes rules for playing the Wicker and Tallfolk.
  • Glory! Introduces a new glory system fueling your character's ability to boast to overwhelm adversaries.
  • All Backgrounds are Epic. Includes four epic backgrounds for players to choose from. These backgrounds create additional motivations for your hero and weave their personal stories into the core campaign.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Hey @GuyBoy might this be your next campaign? I thoroughly enjoyed the Northlands Saga.

Odyssey is a lot of fun to run as I’ve said. If it’s half as much fun for you playing in it I think you’d enjoy another campaign by them.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The epic backgrounds are pretty sweet, and I'd love to see a player's face when finding out (the hard way) what the inferior weapon property is.

I don't see how it fits with Vampire the Masquerade, though.

wellis

Explorer
Might as well say Thylea and Grimnir exist in the same world. Imagine crossing over Odyssey of Dragonlord pc/subclasses in Raiders of The Serpent Sea campaigns or vice versa?

I'd allow it!
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere both settings can connect with each other somehow?
Pretty much all Norse-themed settings that have been published so far are extremely grim. I wish someone would do a more lighthearted version--less Beowulf and more How to Train Your Dragon.
I found Dragon Heresy wasn't that grim.

I kind of feel, as nice as this is, that it would also be nice to see something other than yet another Norse or Greek/Roman-themed setting. They've gotten a bit overused I feel.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I found Dragon Heresy wasn't that grim.
It's gritty, and emphasizes how deadly its combat is. I wouldn't call it "light-hearted."

I kind of feel, as nice as this is, that it would also be nice to see something other than yet another Norse or Greek/Roman-themed setting. They've gotten a bit overused I feel.
Other types of settings are certainly being made/have been made recently. Anything particular you're looking for? Maybe we can recommend a book.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Meh

Just the downgrade of Brown Dragons bothers me.

The 4e Gourmet Food Snob Sand Blaster spoke to me on a spiritual level.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases