• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Character Generation

Do you like random character generation?

• I enjoy the thrill of leaving my character to chance.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • I like some parts random, but certain aspects of the character must always be choosable.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I enjoy being able to choose and sculpt my character as I see fit.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I like random generation in some games, and choice in other games.

Votes: 26 29.2%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The answer somewhat depends on the system you're playing, even within the D+D realm:

In 3e, where each stat point makes a difference, random is a manageable risk.

In 4e, where balance is king, random doesn't fit too well.

In 1e, gimme those dice and let 'em fly!

Then again, if you *really* want random, try rolling for race and class as well. Been there, done this, and the results have at times been quite worthwhile if only because it forced me into new ideas.

Lanefan

steenan

Adventurer
For me, it depends mainly on what kind of game I'm going to play.

For a one-shot, I prefer random character generation. And by that I mean really random, unlike 3e, where you rolled for stats, but chose all the rest. I want the challange (both gamist and roleplaying one) of a character I didn't expect.
For a campaign (playing more than 3 sessions with one character) I prefer character generation without random elements. I need a character that fits me, a character I may shape on the basis of the envisioned background and give him some mechanical efficiency at the same time.

In strongly simulationist game I may play a randomly generated character. Being disadventaged gives as many (if not more) fun roleplaying opportunities as being powerful.
In a strongly gamist play I prefer a character I created and optimized myself. While trying to get around my weaknesses using my strengths may be interesting, being just weaker than the rest of the party sucks. Maybe, if there was a system that creates random, but balanced characters...
In a strongly narrativist play, I may have the competence and background aspects of my character randomly generated, but I couldn't deal with one that has personality and value system I cannot understand (definitely not the same as "agree with").

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Then again, if you *really* want random, try rolling for race and class as well. Been there, done this, and the results have at times been quite worthwhile if only because it forced me into new ideas.

Gamma World is mostly like this. You choose your race (Human, Mutant, Animal, or Plant), but unless you choose Pure Strain Human, you have to roll your mutations randomly, and then you're stuck with them.

Also, since the method of generating your abilities depends on your race, you can't arrange your scores as desired, either. So, you can very easily end up with a character that is very different from your play styles. So, you might want to play a sneaky character, but end up rolling a hulking, clawed brute who shoots laser beams from his eyes. Makes for interesting justifications and questions on how you're supposed to look and function.

Ginnel

Explorer
For me, it depends mainly on what kind of game I'm going to play.

For a one-shot, I prefer random character generation. And by that I mean really random, unlike 3e, where you rolled for stats, but chose all the rest. I want the challange (both gamist and roleplaying one) of a character I didn't expect.
For a campaign (playing more than 3 sessions with one character) I prefer character generation without random elements. I need a character that fits me, a character I may shape on the basis of the envisioned background and give him some mechanical efficiency at the same time.

In strongly simulationist game I may play a randomly generated character. Being disadventaged gives as many (if not more) fun roleplaying opportunities as being powerful.
In a strongly gamist play I prefer a character I created and optimized myself. While trying to get around my weaknesses using my strengths may be interesting, being just weaker than the rest of the party sucks. Maybe, if there was a system that creates random, but balanced characters...
In a strongly narrativist play, I may have the competence and background aspects of my character randomly generated, but I couldn't deal with one that has personality and value system I cannot understand (definitely not the same as "agree with").
For one shots I prefer pregens from the GM ;) sculpted and structured for the one shot :D

Ahnehnois

First Post
I never understood why there would be the huge volume of rules that were supposed to be "balanced" but that you would then go and generate characters that had random ability scores.

My (limited) experience with random generation says that someone will always roll better than someone else, and that the someone else will be jealous and that this tension will cause problems. Of course, having mature players would ameliorate the situation.

I also like to have control; and with a point buy I can get the stats that let me create the character I want.

I do, however, see value in random generation; in that it forces creativity. So for a rules-lite type of game, I think it is a valuable option.

Gilladian

Adventurer
For certain games, there is so much flavor attached to the randomness, I think it is a necessary thing (Gamma World and Traveler being good examples thereof). But for fantasy games, and the more rules-heavy ones especially, I like to select and sculpt.

garyh

First Post
I voted for the last option.

For me, my openess to randmoness depends on both the type of game and what else I'm playing. As one the players in your 1e PbP, I'm happy to take what the dice give me (same with a BECMI PbP I'm in), because 1e is set up that way, and I'm also playing several 4e games where I can choose exactly what I want.

I wouldn't want a game with that kind of randomness be my only game, or to do that sort of thing in 3e or 4e, but as one of many games, using 1e or BECMI, I think it's great.

genshou

First Post
I concocted a set of rules related to ability score gains as PCs gain levels. These rules have the benefit of balancing PCs and NPCs out in the long run. How initial ability scores are determined depends on the needs of the campaign and the ability of the player group to handle a little something out of the ordinary (and potentially challenging). My preferred method is 3d6, reroll all rolls of 1. Normally I let the players arrange the rolls as desired, but in some campaigns where I want more of a "non-heroic" start to the characters, they might have to take the rolls in the order they're given. Since after gaining levels they'll grow in potential and are free to spend points as they see fit, they can build their character into the Mighty Warrior or Powerful Wizard they'd love to play (see Ed_Laprade's post). However, since they don't get as much choice to begin with, they get an opportunity to explore an unusual path to that paragon.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I don't know what to vote for because the answer I come up with "It depends on how the random method works and whether or not it's optional" isn't on the poll.

I know I don't support any method that gives some people bonuses and others penalties.

I know I don't believe in the idea that roleplaying should be about the challenge. The mechanics should be the challenge because that's the game, but roleplaying isn't a game to me it's a form of expression and shouldn't be about how hard it is.

I know I don't support realism in gaming. If I wanted realism I go out and do real things.

I know being forced to do something doesn't stretch my creativity. My creativity refuses to work under such conditions.

So saying all that I'd be okay if a point-build system had a method for rolling randomly which trait you'd pay for next, in case you were out of ideas and wanted a suggestion. But it should be optional.

Jack Colby

First Post
I prefer as much random generation as possible (because it's fun to interpret the results and build off that with my imagination), but it's best if the designers understand what they are doing and have crafted good tables. I'm quite often "stuck" when faced with games that have no random element to character creation, since I can't see what's fun about making it all up myself. That's a very boring prospect to me. Especially in a game where I'm not familiar with the setting yet, randomness is best. I wish every single game had a random option, with well-written tables that made it so you always ended up with a playable character that fit the setting. It's a great tool, especially for times when you don't have a good idea what might be appropriate to play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads