D&D 5E Random Encounter Tables?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've been working on random encounter tables for 5E, similar to 1E, and I got to thinking maybe someone has already done this. Anyone have anything they care to share???

S'mon

Legend
I've been working on random encounter tables for 5E, similar to 1E, and I got to thinking maybe someone has already done this. Anyone have anything they care to share???

There are a bunch out there, notably the ones in Xanathar's Guide to Everything which have a table for every Tier for every Terrain type.

aco175

Legend
I have been using the one found in Prince of the Apocalypse free supplement, but I mostly play in that part of FR.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Ok, so now I remember why I don't like XGtE's tables...

First, it is organized by level, not rarity. I like tables where even at 20th level, you can encounter simple orcs, etc. In fact, you should be more likely to encounter orcs, than say demons, at any level (in a typical fantasy world of course). A lot of tables skip over simple/ easy encounters at higher levels but I prefer not too.

Second, the extra stuff (i.e. non-creatures) I don't care for, either.

Third, some of the creatures in 5E that are in those tables I don't like as well. Old school, I prefer only monsters from 1E.

Still, they might serve as a useful launching point. Back to the grind...

S'mon

Legend
Ok, so now I remember why I don't like XGtE's tables...

First, it is organized by level, not rarity. I like tables where even at 20th level, you can encounter simple orcs, etc. In fact, you should be more likely to encounter orcs, than say demons, at any level (in a typical fantasy world of course). A lot of tables skip over simple/ easy encounters at higher levels but I prefer not too.

Second, the extra stuff (i.e. non-creatures) I don't care for, either.

Third, some of the creatures in 5E that are in those tables I don't like as well. Old school, I prefer only monsters from 1E.

Still, they might serve as a useful launching point. Back to the grind...

I found using the level 17-20 tables in my Wilderlands game for long distance flight worked well when combined with the WoHF box's static encounters which of course weren't levelled; so there was a nice mix of goblin worgriders and ancient green dragons. :)
I think the 3e era idea of encounter tables for areas having an EL works well too.
What I'd suggest for objectivity is that an area could have a % chance of Tier I, II, III & IV encounters; a safe area for new adventurers might only have Tier I hostiles while a very dangerous area might have an even spread by Tier or even skew towards III & IV.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, I am developing tables like 1E in the MM2, with wilderness and civilized areas, the idea that for the "zone" in between you have a 50/50 chance for either. Then, of course, it is separated by climate, with enough variety (for me anyway).

In the meantime, I have found an easy way to use the tables in XGtE, but re-rolling anything that doesn't fit.

Remove ads