• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Randomized Mini's or Not?

Collectable Mini's - Good or Bad?

• Like them Collectable, but probably hurts WotC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
JediSoth said:
I buy tons of the collectable minis, but I'd prefer to see them non-randomized, even if I had to pay more for them. I always seem to get tons of the commons (*COUGH*abyssal maw*COUGH*)

Demonic popcorn. :)

It's gotten better with newer sets, but I've still noticed a trend to make the most RPG-friendly minis rare and the wierd, odd minis I never use in my campaign common.

Heh. There are a few commons I really despair of ever using (Spirit Folk, I'm looking at you!) However, I've been very, very pleased with how trolls, giants and ogres are moving into the uncommon spots.

Are there any particular commons or rares that irritate you?

Cheers!

Glyfair

Explorer
I think our hobby is doing well right now. We have the DDM collectible miniatures for those who want cheap, painted miniatures and are willing to buy them in random lots (with Mage Knight as a secondary source, given their cheapness on the secondary market). We have the secondary market for those who don't want to buy them randomly. We have metal miniature companies (and a few plastic miniatures companies), for those who want to choose and not have to deal with the inflated secondary rare prices and don't mind painting.

What we are really lacking right now is a market for single non-collectible miniatures that are painted. There have been a few companies dipping into it, but they have never stayed in it. You can pay people to paint your miniatures, but that's quite expensive typically (I've seen professionally painted miniatures going for upwards of $75, for a standard 25 mm PC type).

mmu1

First Post
MerricB said:
I have over 2000 DDM. I can store them easily, I have a huge selection to work with, and I don't have to paint them.

If I was going to spend thousands of dollars on minis, I'd just buy the metal minis I wanted from Reaper or Rackham, then have them professionally painted...

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
If the collectible minis were hurting WotC they wouldn't exist. In order to identify what sorts of products don't earn enough money for a company:

1. Simply look at what they published 18-24 months ago and . . .

2. Compare that to what is being published now (and what has been announced).

X-Marks!

First Post
X-Marks! said:
As well, I know of a lot of people are in the situation where trading isn't possible because no one else near them is collecting (because they're frightened off by the pricey-ness and poor distribution ratio, and/or living nowhere near secondary sellers).

MerricB said:
Those people wouldn't be able to buy non-random figures either, because no-one nearby would be selling them.

It's called Amazon. And they'll pay the shipping at a low minimum order (as opposed to eBay/MinMaxi). Packs are simple, singles for fill aren't really. Heck, even in game stores/comic shops they sell the packs, but in my experience only a percentage of these sell them individually for fill.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've grown to like the random minis. While, I'd like to be able to just buy a pack of whatever I need I enjoy the excitement of ripping into a new pack just to see what I've got. Plus, Reaper and other metal minis makers usually do a pretty good job of giving me options that either aren't covered by the minis line or give me better options that what the minis like does. So random just doesn't bother me. :shrug:

solkan_uk

First Post
I wouldn't mind if they did randomized themed packs, so rather than buy a grab-bag of mini's I'd buy a Goblin Hordes pack, which I know will contain Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, maybe a rare Ogre etc.
But at the moment, I don't bother, because I'll probably not use most of it.

Templetroll

Explorer
I buy singles from Paizo. I don't need that many minis, since I've been buying the things since '79/'80. I like that WotC has them available, but I'm not buying more than 10 a year. Now, I did make a point to get the Dragon special repainted Black Dragon with Sorcerer. My buying is for specific need to enhance the game or something I think might be cool.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
X-Marks! said:
It's called Amazon. And they'll pay the shipping at a low minimum order (as opposed to eBay/MinMaxi). Packs are simple, singles for fill aren't really. Heck, even in game stores/comic shops they sell the packs, but in my experience only a percentage of these sell them individually for fill.

Anything you lose in shipping, you make up in the cost of the minis when trading. (or buying for non-rares)

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads