Level Up (A5E) Ranger: Guide + Survivalist, how is it supposed to work?

Stalker0

Legend
I wanted to get some clarity on the intended interaction between these two knacks.

Survivalist allows you to Scout + Hunt/Harvest/Befriend Animal. Guide allows you to Scout and do any other journey activity.

So my reading of the two together is that a Ranger can engage in: Any journey activity + scout + hunt/harvest/befriend animal. Is that correct?

Second question: Is it intended that a ranger could do the same journey activity twice? For example could they make their any journey activity a "hunt" and therefore do Hunt + Scout + Hunt? Or is it assumed each activity is unique and can't be duplicated?

guide allows you to scout while doing any other journey activity, while survivalist allows you to replace your regular journey activity with any two of scout, hunt and gather, harvest, and befriend animal. so, i think what would happen is you could scout and either do any one journey activity not mentioned by survivalist, or do any two activities mentioned by survivalist (i.e. scout from guide and any two of hunt and gather, harvest, and befriend animal).

as for your second question, the following is from pages 60-61 of trials and treasures:
Adventurers choose how long (in days) to engage in an activity, making a single check for that duration, and many activities grant additional rewards based on the time spent doing them. For example, when using the Busk activity, a PC gains gold for each day they perform that activity. An adventurer is free to divide their travel across a region into different activities, performing each for a number of days. When determining how many days the adventurer is undertaking an activity for, count the total number of days and roll once, even if those days are not consecutive
in other words, journey activities are something you do continuously each day until you decide to do something else or the journey ends. it wouldn't make any sense to be able to hunt twice at once since, if you hunt for two days, you're basically already doing that. plus i can't find anything that mentions how to handle taking two of the same journey activity at once like you're asking about, so i'd assume just based on that you're not supposed to be able to do that.

Remove ads