Ranger Playahs: How do you choose favored enemies?

Dave G

First Post
Voadam said:
Why won't you choose animals for the sharks, aren't they used as attack beasts by sahugin? You said you were trained to fight sahugin generally, so a little training focused on their beasties is appropriate. Seems approrpriate to me. This will also cover any animals their evil druids summon as well.

So I don't have to pick a particular kind of animal, I can choose the whole group? That might be good, because it would help against the Thayan summoners as well! Thanks!

greymarch

First Post
In D&D 3.5, the ranger favored enemy bonus is no longer a precision-based bonus, so it will work against creatures that normally cannot be affected by a critical hit (undead, constructs, plant creatures, elementals, etc..)

This means that picking undead as your favored enemy is definitely the way to go. There are more undead type creatures in D&D than any other subtype.

In D&D 3.5 you can also pick humans even if you are not evil, so alot of rangers will choose this option. My DM hardly ever uses humans though, so I didnt pick it.

Giants are always a popular choice, especially if you plan on being level 9 to 16 for quite a while.

In D&D 3.5, outsider-evil is now an option. This covers all kinds of creatures, including devils, demons, yugoloths, and other assorted fiends.

If I was creating a 20th level ranger for D&D 3.5, here are the favored enemies I would want the most:

1. Undead
2. Magical beasts
3. Aberrations
4. Evil-outsiders
5. Giants

About 70% of all creatures fall into the above five categories.

Last edited:

RC Hagy

Explorer
Hhhmmmmm...

Dave G said:
My only problem about using my history, is that my character's story begins with him discovering his dead wife. Dead at the hands of the sahuagin. His trail led him to a divine agent who helped train him to become a ranger. The back story ends right before last session, with him taking on a sahuagin scouting patrol. So now we're still underwater, still fighting Sahuagin and I've got to choose something... Maybe I can ask my DM to let me save it for a session or two, so I'll have an opportunity to face something different.

[edit: RC Hagy posted while I was posting :D]

Quite supernatural...

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=56538

Angcuru

First Post
ALWAYS choose human and undead at some point: they're the bread&butter obstacles of almost any world.

I currently have a very high-level NPC ranger IMG, whom is sorta like 'my character' in the world, but he doesn't meddle around much. He sorta just sits back and enjoys his peace and quite with his wife, as he's seen enough bloodshed and had enough pain to last several lifetimes, even for an elf.

I chose his Favored Enemies based on his current situation, choosing enemies whom he fights often or/and has deep grudges against.

Here's his list in chronological order:
Vermin
Human
Undead
Drow
Magical Beasts
Constructs
Elementals
Giants
Dragons

He has an especially deep hatred of vampires and evil dragons, since they caused him so much emotional pain and distress that he nearly killed himself.

Last edited:

Remove ads