D&D 5E Ranger with spear, shield and polearm master feat

I would definitely avoid any ranger subclass that makes regular use of the bonus action. So probably go for Hunter, Gloomstalker, and Fey Wanderer. Avoid Horizon Walker like the plague.

Beware that (if your table is stringent about such things) going with both hands full means you have no way to perform the somatic components of spells without Warcaster and you have no way of fulfilling the material component without dropping your weapon. Not a lot of the melee combat oriented Ranger spells involve material components, but on the somatic side you will probably want to do the occasional cure wounds or absorb elements.

Ameliorated in Tashas thanks to Rangers now being able to use a Druidic Focus as their spellcasting focus, which a Staff is.

So a Staff + Shield wielding Ranger, can cast both S+M and M spells with both hands full. Basically all spells are fair game unless they have an S component and lack a M component.

Another advantage (also thanks to Tashas) is you can dump Str and Dex with this build and take Shillelagh cantrip at 2nd (d8 damage, and Wisdom to hit and damage).

I'm not sure just how advantageous dumping dex for wisdom actually is. It's not like rangers use many saving throw spells. But really good at Survival skill!

I'm not sure just how advantageous dumping dex for wisdom actually is. It's not like rangers use many saving throw spells. But really good at Survival skill!
And perception.

You'd keep Dex at at least 14 (medium armor) or higher for light armor, but your snake whacking stick would now run of Wisdom (doing 1d8 instead of 1d6).

Personally, I like my Rangers with a 3 (or 5) level dip of Scout rogue.

auburn2

Adventurer
As a house rule we don't allow the bonus action attack from PAM when the polearm is used one handed, but RAW it's allowed.

It competes with Hunters Mark for bonus actions, but works much better with Tasha's Favoured Foe.
Usually you cast HM in round 1, so in that round it does suck the extra attack, but if you manage to keep it up through several battles it does and the extra 1d6 with every extra attack would seem to be really good.

auburn2

Adventurer
I would definitely avoid any ranger subclass that makes regular use of the bonus action. So probably go for Hunter, Gloomstalker, and Fey Wanderer. Avoid Horizon Walker like the plague.

Beware that (if your table is stringent about such things) going with both hands full means you have no way to perform the somatic components of spells without Warcaster and you have no way of fulfilling the material component without dropping your weapon. Not a lot of the melee combat oriented Ranger spells involve material components, but on the somatic side you will probably want to do the occasional cure wounds or absorb elements.
It would be a gloom stalker.

The Somatic components are a concern, but most of the good Ranger combat spells are Verbal only so I think it is doable.

Usually you cast HM in round 1, so in that round it does suck the extra attack, but if you manage to keep it up through several battles it does and the extra 1d6 with every extra attack would seem to be really good.
Also a bonus action to move it to a new target though. That's the real issue.

You have to use your bonus action every time you switch HM to a new target. And in my experience that's sucking up at least 1/3 of your bonus actions. Enemies don't last long in 5e.

Remove ads