• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rangers and PrCs

Witness

First Post
Can a multiclassed Ranger who takes levels in a spellcaster Prestige Class apply his "+1 to an existing class" to Ranger if he can't yet cast Ranger spells?

The way I understand the rules is that if he is at least 4th level, the character can apply the "+1 to an existing class" to his Ranger levels. But a Ranger below 4th level has no spell caster level. Obviously you couldn't apply the +1 to a class that can't cast spells or in which you have no levels. Could you apply the +1 to a 3rd level Ranger giving him spellcasting as a 4th level Ranger?

Kai Lord

Hero
Yes, the +1 Spellcasting Class levels from PrC's would apply to Rangers, because the Ranger is a spellcasting class. His caster levels just don't kick in until 4th level when he gets his first spells. So a Fighter3/Ranger3 who became a Hospitaler would be able to cast 1st level Ranger spells.

Witness

First Post
I didn't mean a straight Ranger, but a multiclassed spellcaster/Ranger.

I am specifically looking at the Witch Hunter PrC from Oriental Adventures. Right now I am a 2nd level Ranger about to multiclass into Wizard. The PrC is a least 5 or 6 levels off, and I don't necessarily plan on applying the +1 class level to the Ranger class. I just was curious as to what exactly the rules would allow.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Kai Lord - i see what you mean. i was thinking of a single-classed ranger and wizardly PrCs, which tend to be fairly strict about casting requirements. and some that don't (Bladesinger) have their own spell lists anyway

Witness, if i was your DM, i'd definately allow it. since the Witch Hunter gets (relatively) few +1 caster levels for spells, getting Ranger spells early just isn't that powerful or unbalancing (since you have to have 3rd level spells (for Magic Circle) anyway)

Moonglum

First Post
You can do this even if he doesn't have 3rd level... IE: 2nd level Ranger takes a prestige class that gives +1 to current caster level. He would now be casting as a 3rd level Ranger. Since he doesn't have any spells at this level, that's fine. If he goes back and takes another level of Ranger (making him a 3rd level Ranger / 1st level Prestige class) he would now be casting as a 4th level Ranger. If he takes another level of the prestige class he would be casting as a 5th level Ranger.

Remove ads