• Lost City

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Keep on the Borderlands

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Horror on the Hill

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Palace of the Silver Princess

Votes: 2 2.8%

I voted for the Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh.

I also enjoy UK 5: Eye of the Serpent as an alternative to starting players off in a tavern. The module has some problems, but it's a nice springboard.

Add-uk5.jpg

depends a bit on how much work you want to put into them. B2 has a fine adventuring area, but the Keep base has to be fleshed out; the NPCs don't even have names! B4 Lost City needs to be reworked a lot... the layout is fine, but there is a LOT of nonsensical monster placement (particularly in the lower levels). Saltmarsh is rather like B2, in that the town isn't detailed much. N1 is ready to go as is. Horror on the Hill is a bit worse than B2; the adventuring area is fine, but the base fort the PCs are supposed to be using isn't detailed at all, not even a map (the one time I used it, I put it near the Keep on the Borderlands, and used both adventures as being in the same general area). Hommlet is pretty much complete and ready to run. Not familiar with the others...

Stormdale

Explorer
No Secret of Bone Hill? Technically 2-4 but Restenford has been a springboard for a couple of great campaigns for me over the years and easy to start a campaign with- another one I combined with Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh to back in the day.

Stormdale

I voted for the Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh.

I also enjoy UK 5: Eye of the Serpent as an alternative to starting players off in a tavern. The module has some problems, but it's a nice springboard.

Add-uk5.jpg

I have a soft spot for Eye of the Serpent, but it's more obscure than the others, and was originally written as a single player vs DM adventure. It does work well as a starter though, with a clear objective and only a few ways forward at the beginning.

Of the ones on the list, Saltmarsh is my favourite (and the only one I have run twice, with a separation of 36 years).

M_Natas

Hero
I wouldn't choose any of those. From those I only played lost mines and it has some problems (especially for new DMs), like no real motiviations for some parts of the adventure. Dragon of Icespire Peak in the essential kit and the first part of Waterdeep Dragon Heist seem to be better in that regard.

kotbl_picture.jpg

As much as I believe B2: Keep on the Borderlands is a poor starting adventure, I love this image. It paints a grim picture. The borderlands is not a realm of knights and enchanted gardens. It is a barren wasteland of multi-colored deserts, purple-leaved trees, and alien humanoids, vying for domination. Judging by their unified appearance, the hobgoblins are a sophisticated, collectivist people with ritualistic armor and painted faces. The adventurers are a mismatched band of staunch individualists, out for gold and treasure. The image defies the expectation to pit good against evil. Instead, if depicts a struggle for domination in an uncertain, inhospitable world, where even the sand seems alien to the viewer's modern, westernized sensibilities.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Never heard of this one. Details please?

Gladly!

It is a free dungeon designed specifically for new players. It is designed to use the GLOG, but done in such a way that it is also highly compatible with older editions of D&D (specifically B/X, but also some of the retroclones, as well as BECMI etc). In fact a lot of people run it not even being aware that the GLOG system exists!

the author, Skerples, has worked on it a lot, and we are now in version 4. I wrote a play-through and some of my comments (I ran version 3) were specifically addressed in version 4.

Now, this is definitely for an old-school type of gaming, not 5e. But it's a lot of fun.

The module: OSR: Tomb of the Serpent Kings Megapost

(this includes links to several play throughs. Mine is Slug and Silver, but I think that his own is more entertaining)

The system, if you are curious: OSR: GLOG-based Homebrew v.2: Many Rats on Sticks Edition

Remove ads