D&D 5E Rants Regarding the Corporate Castration of our Beloved Hobby

MechaPilot

Explorer
On the contrary, I do think it's unreasonable to think their justifiable concerns about piracy would mean that they wouldn't even be willing to perform the research. Politicians avoid gathering data that may contradict their assumptions, but businesspeople do not.

Then again, you just called them "paranoid", so maybe you also think they are "willfully ignorant" or whatever.

("What? Digital millennials sharing PDFs with each other? Yeah, that's just freaking paranoid.")

What's ironic is that you are basically accusing them of ignoring any information that might contradict the foregone conclusions you ascribe to them, and yet you seem (based on your posts) to have already decided they are just flat out wrong for not giving you the products that you want, and are ignoring any evidence/arguments that suggest maybe this is the right decision for them (if not for you).

Compared to other companies? Yes, I'd say paranoid is an appropriate (if slightly excessive) adjective.

Also, what do "millennials" have to do with this? People have been copying CDs and Cassettes and VHS tapes well before millennials were a generation for people to excrete upon to popular applause.

You know, I generally like several of the points you make in discussions on the forums (I've tossed my fair share of xp your way in my time here), but for some reason you've started spouting buzzwords like "special snowflakes" and "millennials" that usually make me simply ignore the person who says them. What's with that?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
On the contrary, I do think it's unreasonable to think their justifiable concerns about piracy.

This repeated piracy concern claim needs a cite more frequent than something a CEO said two management regimes ago. I think it’s nonsense. The digital issue is rooted in distribution agreements, not piracy fears.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
I personally never used orcpub, but wizards of the coast is seriously overstepping here. Money is very tight in the united states,a lot of people just can't afford to drop 50$ on a book. If the consumer doesn't want to pay for something, they won't and they never will. I only toss money at companies I reliably use and deeply enjoy, The Admiral is not a fan of piracy. If you do it, don’t advocate it or bring it up. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

This repeated piracy concern claim needs a cite more frequent than something a CEO said two management regimes ago. I think it’s nonsense. The digital issue is rooted in distribution agreements, not piracy fears.

Agreed. I should have said "On the contrary, I do think it's unreasonable to think that justifiable concerns about piracy..." and not attributed such concerns to WotC. I was really just accepting the assertion that they are, in fact, concerned. But I don't think it's necessary to explain/defend their business decisions.

G

Guest 6801328

I personally never used orcpub, but wizards of the coast is seriously overstepping here. Money is very tight in the united states,a lot of people just can't afford to drop 50$ on a book. If the consumer doesn't want to pay for something, they won't and they never will. I only toss money at companies I reliably use and deeply enjoy, otherwise I just torrent all the D&D books because I am broke and paying for these books is overrated.

So, in other words, they're not really losing a customer (you) by shutting down Orcpub?

Or, seen another way, they are greatly inconveniencing people who aren't planning to buy their products? Outrageous.

G

Guest 6801328

Also, what do "millennials" have to do with this? People have been copying CDs and Cassettes and VHS tapes well before millennials were a generation for people to excrete upon to popular applause.

Excellent point. They should worry about most of their potential customer base pirating, not just the millennials. (I only cited the millennials because the research I've seen..admittedly from early 2000's...shows younger audiences most likely to disregard copyright.)

You know, I generally like several of the points you make in discussions on the forums (I've tossed my fair share of xp your way in my time here), but for some reason you've started spouting buzzwords like "special snowflakes" and "millennials" that usually make me simply ignore the person who says them. What's with that?

Dunno. Feeling snarky today. Thanks for pointing it out; I'll try to tone it down.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Yeah, the United States is well know for not being the richest, most affluent country on the planet. I mean, we only have90% of the world’s wealth! Its tough going.

It's not as if each person in the US has an equal share of that 90%. Most of it's concentrated in a small fraction of the US population.

Also, basic necessities tend to cost more here. So, it's not as if we make US incomes and pay expenses at prices found in Mexico (or elsewhere).

Waller

Legend
It's not as if each person in the US has an equal share of that 90%. Most of it's concentrated in a small fraction of the US population.

Also, basic necessities tend to cost more here. So, it's not as if we make US incomes and pay expenses at prices found in Mexico (or elsewhere).

Wait, what? You think we’re poor? Compared to Mexico?

We earn more than anybody else in the Western world, *and* our goods cost less than anywhere else in the Western world. If you don’t feel affluent, you haven’t travelled outside the US, have you?

We talk about the 1%, but we *are* the 1% worldwide. Well maybe not 1% as the population isn’t that big yet, but 5%. Acknowledging that is the least we can do, intellectually.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Wait, what? You think we’re poor? Compared to Mexico?

I did not say that. I said that basic necessities cost more here. Most Americans have incomes high enough to be the envy of people in other parts of the world. That's certainly true. However, our expenses are not priced at the same amounts that theirs are. Yes, a minimum wage American earns enough that many people in the world would love to earn that much. But, those same minimum wage Americans have to pay vastly more for transportation, housing, health care, etc. than people do in other parts of the world.

Very many Americans, despite how appealing their income is to people in other parts of the world, are left with little to no disposable income after you subtract the cost of necessary expenses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases