Rat Bastard DM Requirements

Wolf1066

First Post
This. I've seen more failed attempts at true ratbastardry over the years (and this includes me looking in the mirror) than actual RBDM moments, and I think that one of the big traps is the idea that you want players returning to the table despite your ratbastardry... No, you want them returning because of it...
I've played with some real RBDMs in the past and I wish they were still running games now - because their games were fun, exciting and clever.

Two of them have also played in my games and qualified as RBPCs - much to the enjoyment of all.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Rat Bastardy as DM is all about the moment of wonder your players experience when they realize that what is happening to them is based on their own choices, and that it is both surprising and inevitable.

Work towards that ideal in your game, and you're probably an RBDM. Succeed all the time, like it's easy, and you're probably Piratecat.

-Radiating Gnome, eternal aspirant to the title.

Festivus

First Post
What does it take to be a Rat Bastard DM?
Are you one?
Not any more. In OD&D as a teen I probably was.

How many TPK's have you caused?
In 4E, I have had 4 TPKs. Irontooth, a LFR adventure, twice in D&D Encounters

How many dice have been thrown at you?
None that I can recall.

How many character sheets have you ripped up?
None. I usually draw a skull on their initiative card and hand it to the player.

How, exactly, have you caused mental anguish to your players?
I don't think I do this... not intentionally at least.

Have you ever fudged a die roll to kill a character. For example, you rolled a 3 but told everyone it was a "natural 20."
I roll in the open for attack rolls, so no.

What else?
Describing the characters death in detail?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Wow. People have radically different definitions of RBDM. My initial post would characterize RBDM's as evil, cruel, people who wanted to kill players characters.

Many posters instead say that a RBDM is someone who (paraphrasing) is manipulative and tricky to the characters but the players love him/her.

Did I get that correct? :hmm:

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Wow. People have radically different definitions of RBDM. My initial post would characterize RBDM's as evil, cruel, people who wanted to kill players.

Many posters instead say that a RBDM is someone who (paraphrasing) is manipulative and tricky to the characters but the players love him/her.

Mmm. Manipulative to the players is not entirely inaccurate, but they do love him for it, even as their characters suffer for the player's choices.

But you're quite correct in that being a "killer DM" has nothing to do with being a rat bastard DM. I'm sure most RBDMs do indeed kill PCs, but that's not their focus, any more than it is for the theoretical average DM (who is spherical and of uniform density).

If I had to describe being an RBDM in a single phrase, it would be: the relentless application of unintended consequences.

Cheers, -- N

Wolf1066

First Post
Wow. People have radically different definitions of RBDM. My initial post would characterize RBDM's as evil, cruel, people who wanted to kill players.

The latter would be my take on the idea. The RBDMs I've played with made the game a twisted nightmare that kept us on our toes - loved it.

Two of them kept me on my toes when they played in my games - you just never knew what was going on in their devious minds until they hit you with it...

Great times. If I ever get to be half the GM those guys have been, I'll be well pleased.

Kafen

First Post

It seems to be correct.

Although, I am a mean GM for expecting party members to talk to each other in character according to one person as of tonight. *grumbles* So, the fine line between love and hate could be something as simple as perspective. If you have a guy that wants to sit alone in the corner while being dramatic all by himself, the basic items GMs might encourage like character building and interaction could qualify as reasons to hate the GMs.

Wolf1066

First Post
Although, I am a mean GM for expecting party members to talk to each other in character according to one person as of tonight.
You don't, do you? *tsk tsk* :eek:

Next you'll be expecting them to actually play in character. ;)

I'm the mean sod who decrees that anything said by a player is taken to be said by his/her character - which means the NPCs are likely to react to any smart-arsed comments they make.

Likewise, when one of the players - whose character was trying on lingerie - decided to talk to another character who was out in the mall, I took that to mean she walked out of the changing room to do so...

Good thing the security tags only set off a loud, attention grabbing, alarm and not dye bombs. Made for an interesting scene anyway, and the male members of the party sure enjoyed it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Now that defines a real RBDM - doesn't stop at characters, but wants to kill players too!

Lan-"not all players deserve death..."-efan

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I don't really think of myself as one, but my players insist that I am a RBDM.

I just like to think that for every action there is a reaction.

Remove ads