• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate Clash of the Titans (2010)

Rate Clash of the Titans (2010)

• 0 (lowest)

Votes: 1 3.6%

Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 3 10.7%

Votes: 4 14.3%

Votes: 6 21.4%

Votes: 6 21.4%

Votes: 4 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 (highest)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Krug

Newshound
Saw it at a premiere. Nothing quite mindblowing. Hardly any 3-D so save your money and just watch it in 2-D instead.

The action scenes were decent, particularly in the showdown with Medusa. Kraken... not so much. Lots of hammy acting. Special efx weren't particularly new.

[sblock]Mechanical Owl gets a brief moment, while Perseus gets to use a black pegasus.[/sblock]

Overall: 6/10

The only way I can possibly review this is via use of a D&D metaphor.

Most of the encounter set-pieces were phenomenal, but the adventure containing them was lame and poorly written.

If you're a fan of the genre (and I assume most of you are), it's worth seeing in 2D--cheap if you can get it--for the visuals and some really exciting scenes. Just don't expect them to hold together as a movie.

dravot

First Post
Saw it at a premiere. Nothing quite mindblowing. Hardly any 3-D so save your money and just watch it in 2-D instead.

This, How to Train Your Dragon, and Alice in Wonderland were all 2D films that they rendered into 3D using a new technique. The technique is good but not great. I'd advise avoiding any of these types of movies in the 3D format.

Felon

First Post
Msybe it's just the shots I've seen of it in the trailers, but scale aside, the kraken looks rather unscary. Smooth head, teen-weeny eyes. Take away the teeth and it would be a great plush toy for some little girl.

6/10. Not well-written. Poor to nonexistent character development, stiff acting, epileptic siezure-inducing editing, and the whole thing looked color-dead, dark and washed-out. I wasn't even particularly impressed by the fights as it seemed to be a lot of sound and fury signifying absolutelyl nothing.

BTW, after leaving the theater I realized that a lot of the dullness of the film possibly results from the deliberate reliance on 3-D to "wow" the audience - but when 3D is not there (I saw a normal version) the dominating deficiencies immediately "pop" out because you haven't been distracted by that stupid gimmick.

As unspectacular a spectacle that the original was - it was BETTER than this one. The only really memorable part of this was the throwaway homage to the original:

"Just leave that here."

See it and you'll understand. Classic. But hardly worth the cost of admission.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
This, How to Train Your Dragon, and Alice in Wonderland were all 2D films that they rendered into 3D using a new technique. The technique is good but not great. I'd advise avoiding any of these types of movies in the 3D format.
I had heard otherwise on How to Train your Dragon . . . because it was already entirely a 3D computer creation "in the computer" the rendering as a 3D movie was trivial and effective compared to the conversion a movie like Clash of the Titans had to go through.

reveal

Adventurer
3/10

I have seen three movies now with Sam Worthington as the lead and don't like him. I liked Avatar but not because of him. Sam is very wooden and can not carry a movie.

The movie was crap. I liked the action sequences but there was absolutely no character development and you could have had any actor in any role and it wouldn't have mattered.

I came up with a new drinking game, though. Every time one of the characters says that they will do things "as a man," you take a drink. You could probably get through a fifth of vodka by yourself if you did that.

One more thing that I think really hurt the movie. I didn't like Perseus. I mean at all. He was a whiny witch who gave me absolutely no reason to give a crap whether or not he succeeded. That kind of hurts the movie if your main character is unlikeable.

dravot

First Post
I had heard otherwise on How to Train your Dragon . . . because it was already entirely a 3D computer creation "in the computer" the rendering as a 3D movie was trivial and effective compared to the conversion a movie like Clash of the Titans had to go through.

Hrm. I could see that. My broader point still stands though. We saw Dragon in 2D and didn't feel like we lost out on anything.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
We had watched the earlier version the week before. One thing my wife commented on was that at least you got to know the soldiers before they died. I thought it was 6, mildly entertaining, but no great movie. Definitely NOT worth the 3D upcharge at all.

Remove ads