Ravenloft inspiration imagery (Google Image Search)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Another thing to consider is that Mike Schley sells map packs at very high resolution (battle maps quality) with and without DM numbers for all locations. I actually scaled these onto A3 and printed them out in colour which made the locations very vivid. Battlemaps aren’t for everyone but I find not having to describe the floor plan let’s me spend more time on the atmosphere and details.

I bought Schley's map pack and printed them at 1-inch-square scale on a large format printer. It is very nice to have battlemats for most of the locations. Castle Ravenloft is the exception, but that would be tough to do as a battlemat unless you use a Virtual Table Top. I believe Fantasy Ground provide complete digital battlemats for all locations, including the Castle.

However, I think NOT having a map to follow along with as you explore, makes it more evocative. It also makes it more likely that the party will get lost or turned around, which adds to the sense of danger in the Castle.

TheSword

Legend
That is a really good point actually. The castle is one area that doesn’t have Schley maps. Plus I agree totally with MNBlockhead that you don’t want the place to be too rational. It would also cost you a fortune in ink/printing as that place is huuuuuge!

Remove ads