• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

I expect we'll see more than that. I'd put it up to a friendly wager, but seeing how you were adamant the "4th D&D book in 2018" was either the art book OR the coloring book, it might be in your best interest to decline to wager on this.

Actually, he was at first adamant there was definitively not going to be a "fourth book", then backtracked to the art book and/or coloring book. Now that that "fourth book" has been pretty conclusively shown to be a reality today, you would think he'd back off the absolute statements, especially since the evidence for something besides Ravnica being announced tomorrow is far more concrete than what we had for the "fourth book" previously. At the very least out of the risk of being potentially proved wrong two days in a row.

neogod22

Explorer
C'mon WotC. Are you purposely trying to irritate and divide the D&D fanbase?

Just do this:

1) Release a "Manual of the Planes" hardcover which includes a chapter on each of the classic D&D Worlds (Oerth, Mystara, Eberron, Abeir, Nerath, etc). Cover Planescape and Spelljammer (and Chronomancer) at the same time.
2) Open all the D&D worlds to DM's Guild in one go.
3) If you want to cross-promote M:tG, then you'd better first (or simultaneously) satiate the desire for the classic D&D worlds! At least mention in the Manual of the Planes that the D&D Multiverse is beginning to overlap with the with M:tG Multiverse.
4) *Then* release M:tG planar D&D sourcebooks. Staggered with classic D&D worldbooks (Oerth, Mystara, Athas, Eberron, etc). If you do both at the same time, then classic aficionados won't be irked.

As it stands, the day-early leak about Ravnica is arousing some ill-will and divisiveness. "Divisiveness": because it would be "cool" to see more and more D&D M:tG books...but not at the expense of Classic D&D worlds. C'mon.
I am pretty sure, they are not going to release most of the previous settings into this edition. We are what 4 years in now? They have barely expanded past the Sword coast and Moon Sea.

On one hand, "justified" is a strong word. Secondly, based on what I'm seeing, the reaction from the Magic community would be "Oh, that's cool!" not "DISAPPOINTED!!!!1"
That doesn’t sound like the Magic community I’ve read about...

While I started as closer to “meh” and “slightly dissapointed”, the more I talk about it on ENworld and get told I’m wrong for not being excited, the more I get grumpy, actually “DISAPPOINTED!!!!1”, and just plain frustrated to the point of having a stress headache.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I am pretty sure, they are not going to release most of the previous settings into this edition. We are what 4 years in now? They have barely expanded past the Sword coast and Moon Sea.

They're on record saying they're planning to support /all/ of the previously published D&D settings in D&D5, they just need to be "careful" about it to avoid splitting the fanbase.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/881717018482712576?lang=en

Of course, they are also on record saying they wouldn't introduce any new settings to D&D5 until they'd supported the previously published settings, so take from that what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMSdqsA7AM&feature=youtu.be&t=1h21m53s

I'm reserving judgment until tomorrow, but it's hard.

Actually, he was at first adamant there was definitively not going to be a "fourth book", then backtracked to the art book and/or coloring book. Now that that "fourth book" has been pretty conclusively shown to be a reality today, you would think he'd back off the absolute statements, especially since the evidence for something besides Ravnica being announced tomorrow is far more concrete than what we had for the "fourth book" previously. At the very least out of the risk of being potentially proved wrong two days in a row.
Oh no, I was wrong. My poor fragile ego. I have never been wrong before.

Oh wait, I’m wrong all the time. Because I’m human and fallible.
But that doesn’t mean I’m always going to be wrong. Or that I’m going to withdraw and run away from the conversation out of the fear that I could be wrong again.

If I was afraid of saying something that was wrong, I’d never be able to say anything.

Greg K

Legend
Thank you WOTC people for continuing to encourage me to look elsewhere to spend my money. I think that I will pick up Bash Fantasy or purchase one of the following non-fantasy games from Precis Intermedia: EarthAD.2, Coyote Trail, or Hard Nova.

In the meantime, I think that I will also hold off on some additonial DM Guild purchases and try to line up a game of Barbarians of Lemuria, Earthdawn 1e, Warhammer 1e, or Cortex Plus Heroic to meet my current fantasy itch!

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I'm tentative, but I'll give it /half/ a chance - meaning, I'll buy this on DnD Beyond should it be the next campaign, but not in Hardcover. I don't know much about the lore of MtG anything (though I played it back in the 90s), but willing to find out through DnD - so a nice digital discount sounds like the right price.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

While I started as closer to “meh” and “slightly dissapointed”, the more I talk about it on ENworld and get told I’m wrong for not being excited, the more I get grumpy, actually “DISAPPOINTED!!!!1”, and just plain frustrated to the point of having a stress headache.

Maybe take a break until something more solid is announced? At this point, we don't know what is coming.

neobolts

Explorer
1) I do not think this will not be the only new setting announced in the next 12 months. Everything else points towards older D&D settings as well.

2) James Wyatt will likely be at the helm if the Ravinica book and has my full confidence.

3) Ravinica is a nifty setting that deserves a chance. It can hold its own against Sigil or Sharn and doesn't deserve to be dismissed out of hand bc of the MTG association that does not appeal to some. I'm a 90s teen with fond memories of both 2e D&D and the early days of MTG. I'm definitely part of the target demographic for this title.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

Yeah, it's like any community really, there is always at least a small portion of that community which is made up of horrible people. MtG and DnD are no exception there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads