Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, my brother and I were visiting friends in Aurora, in York, in Toronto, and we marveled how the entire drive there was solid, solid, city.

An other thing we noticed about Toronto was how multicultural it was. There were many larger ethnic neighborhoods, from all over the world. Yet there was a feeling that none of them had hegemony. It was an egalitarian diversity.

It is indeed a fantastic place to live . . . except for the driving.

(And though it's not really noticeable when driving around, there is a lot of greenspace, too - which of course adds to the sprawl)

Satyrn

First Post
I forgot about the underground city in Toronto. I havent been in it. Is it to avoid the winter snow?

Amazingly, an entire city matrix of underground D&D-style dungeon crawls!

When I lived in Boston, Cambridge, our apartment building had a basement with spooky tunnels leading to other buildings and who knows where? They were gated up, never had a chance to explore them, and never found out precisely where they went.

I've always thought the Underground part of Toronto is tiny. It spreads across a few downtown blocks in the downtown core, and is really just all the basements of the office towers connected together. It's a bit of a maze of food courts and small stores, stationary, books, clothing boutiques, shoes, etc

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Not familiar with it. I like it however. While I enjoy Dark Sun and Greyhawk, I don't really 'need' and update for those. Mostly because I played in my own alternate universe where my story and the cannon story diverged.

I am pretty exciting to try playing a campaign entirely in a city-scape. Bring on the details!

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6788862]JonnyP71[/MENTION] "I'm a Greyhawk grognard, and part of me would like to see that get official support... but the thought of how WotC would handle it worries me, will they try to shoehorn Dragonborn, nice Drow, Gnome Paladins, and racial harmony into it, when the original had none of those?"

Of course they will and therefore I am glad it was not Greyhawk that got 5E support. Imho Greyhawk does not need much 5e support anyway, the things I miss still which are needed and I repeat myself here are:

Rules for Psionic and a Psionic class for DS and Eberron, and even some FR stuff this seems to be overlooked by many*

Rules on how to handle Halfgiants and Thrikreen for DS

Rules for Defiling for DS

Rules for moon magic and dargonlances for DL

*On the FR psionics thing: 2e made it optional to use psionics, e.g. mindflayers psionic blast could be handwaved as a kind of magic attack. But you could as well handle a mind flayer as a psionic using monster, there were stats like PSP and power scores for that. And I remember in the Menzoberranzan boxed set there was one matron who was a a cleric / psionic multiclass (House Xorlarin or so) and that one is definitely based in FR.

Chaosmancer

Legend
and dargonlances for DL

Depending on how powerful you wanted it to be, couldn't you just use the rules already established by the Arrow of Slaying and the Dragonslayer swords? I don't think Dragonlances were 1hit kills, but the only thing I remember about them was "really good at killing dragons" and you don't need a lot of fancy rules for that. Just a lot of dice.

M_Mandrake2012

Explorer
No, I won't be trying it. I'm not a fan of Forgotten Realms either. Or Eberron.

Too much high fantasy in there, plus blurring of genres with technological elements. I like my settings to have a medieval feel, be grittier, darker, filled with superstition, and intolerance.

I'm a Greyhawk grognard, and part of me would like to see that get official support... but the thought of how WotC would handle it worries me, will they try to shoehorn Dragonborn, nice Drow, Gnome Paladins, and racial harmony into it, when the original had none of those?

Cubicle 7 will be getting my money for the foreseeable future, The Adventures in Middle Earth books are uniformly wonderful.

Your and @Coroc comments have given me food for tought , and while I don't fear for the release of the ravnica setting, I know it will not be as good as it should and here why :

I don't think they will integrate the color system to it.

The color system is the backbone of magic lore, but in some planes it can be more or less impactful, innistrad being quite less influenced by it than say Zendikar ( and while the zendikar planeshift manual did talk lightly about colors , it did nothing to integrate it into the mechanics )

The color system can be akin to the alignements, and in such ambientations could totally supplant it.

Where a lich in alignement terms is fundamentally evil, in magic color system terms it would be black.

What would it mean in a mechanical sense ? well , colors represent ideas and abilities, and that could as well bestow creatures and players alike with those and vice versa.

This message is a lot longer than I tought it would...and I feel there is much more to say, but...it's not like wizard of the coast read these :p, so I won't go into a 20 pages word essay to explain why I think the color system should be integrated with these ambientations...

Edit : Forgot to add, I'm still hyped for the book , as it will serve as a solid base for my own version that I will make my players play

Last edited by a moderator:

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION] "Depending on how powerful you wanted it to be, couldn't you just use the rules already established by the Arrow of Slaying and the Dragonslayer swords? I don't think Dragonlances were 1hit kills, but the only thing I remember about them was "really good at killing dragons" and you don't need a lot of fancy rules for that. Just a lot of dice. "

Ye and no. Depends. Dragonlances had some odd functions, against dragons and draconians they dealt number of the wielders hitpoints in damage which at times where a dragon wcould have only 42 hp instakill. They were +5 weapons. They could be used while mounted on a dragon, and in this case I thinkthey did even more damage + in this case they could be used to direct and commad the dragons breathweapon.

A 5e arrow of slaying or a dragonslayer sword is nothing compared to that.

Remove ads

Remove ads