Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

dracomilan

Explorer
In 2010 we spent 1 year adventuring in ravnica using the 3.5 rules. It was one of the best campaigns we had (we roughly followed the events of the Guild War). I ended up writing two mini-settings for 3.5 and 4e (in italian). You can find them here https://alfeimur.com/

gyor

Legend
Yeah, my brother and I were visiting friends in Aurora, in York, in Toronto, and we marveled how the entire drive there was solid, solid, city.

An other thing we noticed about Toronto was how multicultural it was. There were many larger ethnic neighborhoods, from all over the world. Yet there was a feeling that none of them had hegemony. It was an egalitarian diversity.

Let me guess you mostly drove down young street?

Their are more rural parts of the GTA, but yeah, it's basically one giant metropolis.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
No, not really. Out of the ten guilds that rule the place, only the Izzet do weird techno-magic. Everyone else is still packing a crap ton of magic though.

It's a faction war intrigue setting like Sigil. Except for instead of being combative philosophers its the Guilds are all competing governmental organs
Well, governmental organs and basic ecology. Who new there was a distinction to blur there?

Yaarel

He Mage
Cool, it's the GTA, but with sad pieces of Detroit peppered throughout. Toronto even has a large underground part of the city.

I forgot about the underground city in Toronto. I havent been in it. Is it to avoid the winter snow?

Amazingly, an entire city matrix of underground D&D-style dungeon crawls!

When I lived in Boston, Cambridge, our apartment building had a basement with spooky tunnels leading to other buildings and who knows where? They were gated up, never had a chance to explore them, and never found out precisely where they went.

Yaarel

He Mage
Personally, what I know about Jace, I like. He suits the ‘mage jock’ archetype. Youthful, beardless, goodlooking, fit, wizard. Pretty awesome. He seems something like a more grown up version of Harry Potter?

It annoys me when as if all of the male wizards seem to be long-hair long-beards. While only the martial archetypes look shiny.

The urbanesque setting where a wizard can take on the ancient knight hero archetype resonates for me. It is like a story where Merlin is the central archetype rather than Arthur.

Kite474

Explorer
Personally, what I know about Jace, I like. He suits the ‘mage jock’ archetype. Youthful, beardless, goodlooking, fit, wizard. Pretty awesome. He seems something like a more grown up version of Harry Potter?

It annoys me when as if all of the male wizards seem to be long-hair long-beards. While only the martial archetypes look shiny.

The urbanesque setting where a wizard can take on the ancient knight hero archetype resonates for me. It is like a story where Merlin is the central archetype rather than Arthur.

Fun fact. Until Ixalan he was in no way fit. He actually used some his mind magic to look more intimidating or more like he belonged in a respective area.

Then came Ixalan and then six months on a Pirate ship... Then he got shreded

Remove ads

Remove ads