Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Remathilis

Legend
I guess you're mad, cuz it's real.
I get it's real. I'm still holding out hope we get a second announcement about an actual D&D setting as well. I'm still banking on a UA about Eberron that will coincidence with a 2019 book.

I'll be mad if this is the ONLY setting we're getting after the hints and build up.

I get it's real. I'm still holding out hope we get a second announcement about an actual D&D setting as well. I'm still banking on a UA about Eberron that will coincidence with a 2019 book.

I'll be mad if this is the ONLY setting we're getting after the hints and build up.

Lots of mad people was always inevitable, whatever the announcement.

This looks way better than Eberron to me.

('cos I don't like Eberron very much, an I am bored with FR)

Mercurius

Legend
WotC actually publishing a new (to D&D) setting rather than re-hashing the same old stuff again and again? I'd say that's great news.

I'm sure we'll still get some kind of Planescape/Spelljammer offering, and at least DM's Guild access to other settings, especially Dark Sun and Eberron....all settings
which have been meticulously covered already.

So why the disappointment? I love the fact that WotC is being bold and branching out.

So, this clears up two mysteries that have been hanging over us recently.

One: this is the legendary "fourth book" long rumored and hinted at.

Two, the fact that they would be announcing information on "a couple" of settings tomorrow; so, at least two (maybe more, but that is probably unlikely). They were obviously aware of the potential consumer resistance to a M:tG setting, so they are going to also announce at least one more setting tomorrow to offset that resistance. All the upset posts I'm seeing here and on reddit are the result of people completely forgetting that more than this is presumably going to be announced tomorrow. I'm betting that they are going to also announce an established setting book to be released in early 2019

tl;dr: Remember that we're getting news on at least two settings tomorrow, so if you're disappointed in this, there will still be other setting news!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Ravnica was my favorite block of MtG cards. I just really loved the Orzov, the Golgari and the Dimir. This is really the only MtG/D&D crossover I care about, but I'm not 100% sold on the book, especially if it's as sparse as the other MtG D&D PDFs have been.

Combine this with the $50 adventure that only takes characters to level 5 (Dragon Heist says on the WotC products page that it's an adventure for lvls 1-5. That's $10 per level, and the first three levels of play are really short in 5e.) and I'm not terribly impressed by what's been announced for release this year.

I'll definitely give the products a proper once-over when they arrive at my local hobby shop, but the only one I'm currently thinking I might buy is the 5-20 adventure. Maybe. It depends on how interwoven it is with Waterdeep. I don't play in FR.

Dragon heist should have been a new starter set IMHO, but i imagine it’s also a setting book for Waterdeep, so there’s that i guess... and yeah i’m not thrilled with FR, so WotC starting to freshen up D&D settings is exciting to me.

Mercurius

Legend
It is also an interesting, even savvy, business move in that they might be trying to draw in some of the MtG players to D&D - if only to buy the book, but also hopefully to get into the game itself.

Just to recap what I remember from various tweets and streams and such:

Two new settings coming this year. Is this new, as in not the Realms? Or totally new to D&D? Or one of each?
At least one aimed at the hardcore D&D fans.
This month's Unearthed Arcana article delayed til tomorrow (July 23).
Mearls making comments about working on a super secret project that he was not allowed to give any hints about.
Talk of being able to use these new settings quickly after the announcement, probably tied to the delayed UA. Or maybe separate PDF releases.

Anything else?

Edit: also, like many other players, I would be happy with a totally new setting for D&D, rather than just a rehash of some other tired, older setting.

Schmoe

Adventurer
While a revamp of another classic setting would be really nice, I have to admit that this looks really cool. Ravnica looks like a compelling and, more importantly, distinctly different setting to add to the stable of D&D settings. While I haven't been playing 5e, I might actually pick this up to go along with my BECMI Known Realms books, my 1e Greyhawk books, my 2e Planescape+FR+Ravenloft+Spelljammer setting books, and my 3e Eberron and FR setting books. The more I think about it, the more I like that this is something fresh and new.

Also, of course, I'm looking forward to the second setting announcement tomorrow. :)

Dualazi

First Post
WotC actually publishing a new (to D&D) setting rather than re-hashing the same old stuff again and again? I'd say that's great news.

I'm sure we'll still get some kind of Planescape/Spelljammer offering, and at least DM's Guild access to other settings, especially Dark Sun and Eberron....all settings
which have been meticulously covered already.

So why the disappointment? I love the fact that WotC is being bold and branching out.

It's disappointing because it IS a rehash, just from one of their sister franchises. It's a cynical corporate move to try and cross-pollinate their fanbases. This is the opposite of branching out, while simultaneously making no (known) progress on any of the more classic settings. Overall quite disappointed from this announcement.

Remove ads

Remove ads