Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

If this is Monday's announcement instead of Eberron, Planescape, or any other actual D&D setting, I'm gonna be mad. I'll probably still buy it, but I'll be mad.
This is very likely the first 5e book I will skip.
Super disappointed. There's so many settings they're not supporting, and so much of the D&D multiverse lying fallow, and they go with a setting from another game?! C'mon!

I get the thought behind it.
Magic the Gathering has a tonne of lore that never gets explored. This can do that. And there's a decent overlap between MtG and D&D fans, who will be excited by this book. And it might sell to MtG fans who don't play D&D, potentially getting them into D&D.
But that last point is targeting a potential audience over a real audience.

Man... and I thought I was disappointed by Tales from the Yawming Portal.

I imagine that's also the thought behind releasing it in November. So D&D players who don't care about MtG or Ravnica (which I have to look up how to spell each and every time, as I've never written that word before) will at least have the Waterdeep duology.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
My "MtG Lore" is pretty mediocre... but from what I do know about it, Ravnica sounds like a pretty good setting for a D&D game, probably the best of the bunch (that I know about!)

OB1

Jedi Master
Seems like a cool setting but it seems weird that this would be the first step out of the Realms. I mean, it makes a ton of sense from the corporate Hasbro side of things, getting the most out of their IP, and trying to bring over fans of one game into another to increase the player base.

This could have been the result of a corporate mandate to release a cross over title this year, with budget attached to it for that specific purpose. That would explain why there is no Elminster's Guide to the Multiverse or something similar first to put releases like this into the context of the game as a whole.

S

Sunseeker

What!? Wizards, a multi-million-dollar company is finally figuring out how to cross-promote their different product lines!? IMPOSSIBLE! What's next, MTG set in Faerun!?

Here's a hint: it's a tie-in to the fact that Ravnica is also getting a new expansion later this year: "Guilds of Ravnica".

As an MTG lover and D&D lover...not sure if I'm excited or not.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Text from Amazon for the HC:

Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world's greatest roleplaying game

A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds--crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs--vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.

And for the dice:

Premium dice for the world's greatest roleplaying game
Heed Your Guild! Life in the big city isn't always easy. As tensions between the guilds run high, the streets of Ravnica have never been more perilous. A good set of dice may just save your hide.

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
I think they’ve also tested the waters on the guild. I get that this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m very happy they are spreading their wings.

Following up on my own comment:
I imagine that's also the thought behind releasing it in November. So D&D players who don't care about MtG or Ravnica (which I have to look up how to spell each and every time, as I've never written that word before) will at least have the Waterdeep duology.
This also explains why it’s a fourth book, breaking from their pattern of three hardcovers a year. It’s a bonus. It’s not coming at the expense of a D&D book.

Remove ads

Remove ads