D&D 5E Re-Envisioning the Flood Trap of Cragmaw Hideout

So last sessions my players went off the path in Storm Lord's Wrath and I pulled out Cragmaw hideout from LMoP to keep them busy. But, half or more of the players are familiar with it and I want to replace the flood water trap with something more. The party is 6 level 6 characters that are tactically savvy and above the curve with magic. The hideout is currently occupied by a master thief (Velleen Firecrow) and her kobolds (dragonshields, commandos, sorcerer's etc).

I've started the loud banging noise (of the damn being broken, though I've been vague enough it could be something else). What should the trap be?

I've thought of adding quipper swarms or alligator/crocodiles to the water. But what else might I use? Thoughts of some type of natural hazard like green slime?

What cool ideas can you come up with?

For six 6th level characters? Three water weirds or a couple of water elementals
I was looking for more than just another encounter. Especially since this will happen while the party is fighting the (underpowered) kobolds and Master Thief. I don't want it deadly, but I do want it interesting!

A couple of submerged nets and a riptide horror would be awesome

After the PCs are hit by the flood they get pushed down and tangled in the nets. Then the lurking Riptide horror attacks
This has a lot of potential... Unfortunately, the stream where they are and downstream has all already been detailed as only 2 feet deep, and they have walked through it so not sure I could put net's in it. Will think more on it and see if I can figure out a way to use it.

Thanks to both of you.

Anyone else?

MarkB

Legend
If they're expecting water, give them fire.

Instead of a reservoir up top, there's a cauldron of boiling oil. Once it's released, it flash-boils the water in the stream, filling the cavern with scalding and obscuring mist. Then the bad guys throw in a couple of lit torches.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
If they're expecting water, give them fire.

Instead of a reservoir up top, there's a cauldron of boiling oil. Once it's released, it flash-boils the water in the stream, filling the cavern with scalding and obscuring mist. Then the bad guys throw in a couple of lit torches.
Yeah, this. Similarly, have it filled with Alchemist's Fire. They release, then drop a torch. Wooosh!

Or, if you are feeling particularly nasty, it could always be a large reservoir of green slime...

jgsugden

Legend
6th level is the domain where I usually venture into the transitive planes - Shadowfell and Feywild. I would consider having the banging noise be root structures from trees infused with extraplanar energy pulling open like giant maws in the tunnel - so that they can grab the PCs and drag (one or more of) them into the Feywild or Shadowfell. Then the PCs might need to find their way back (if they 'fall in'). The master thief and kobolds bypass the tunnel by climbing the trash chute that goes into the 'main bugbear' lair.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This has a lot of potential... Unfortunately, the stream where they are and downstream has all already been detailed as only 2 feet deep, and they have walked through it so not sure I could put net's in it. Will think more on it and see if I can figure out a way to use it.

Thanks to both of you.
Anyone else?

You could have something on the stream bank or cave wall that is innoucuous at the first pass but becomes a deadly net once its hit by water, maybe a patch of vines, thorns and hanging weeds - enough for a body in water to get entangled.

The Green Slime idea is nasty good too

Last edited:

A complex trap could fit well. For early rounds the DC to be swept along by the water could be low. As more water is released the DC increases. Add in a feature that activates on it's own initiative number, that drags a player under like a riptide. Sprinkle in some submerged razor wires strung across the stream to make julienne fires out of the PC, and have a portcullis crash down (again on a separate initiative number) that seals off the stream from the cave exterior and has spikes the characters will be swept into.

Complex Trap + terrain + monsters= exciting scenario to me.

aco175

Legend
I was thinking of just water, but then have the PCs at disadvantage to lightning. This may create a problem with the PCs wanting to throw water on the bad guys before hitting them with lighting of their own.

Remove ads