re: No 4E for Necromancer Games!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Agreed. They've certainly been off my radar for quite some time. Permanently so.

Not entirely surprising. Who wants to put more product in the works when the game you're writing for has just had its long term prospect killed by announcement of a new edition coming out? And to then find out that supporting the new version, one you want to support, puts your IP in jeopardy because of the new license structure... That's gotta hurt.

catsclaw227

First Post
This really sucks. One of the biggest supporters of WOTC among 3PP decides to not produce 4e content via the GSL. WOTC better take notice and see that they are further fragmenting their base.

I am a huge 4e fan and a huge Necromancer Games fan. I don't plan on playing much 3.x or it's OGL derivatives in the near future, but I was really counting on 4e support from 3PP for adventures and setting ideas.

One more bit of sucky news today...

cnath.rm

First Post
Doesn't sound like it to me...
You must have missed Clark/Orcus's many posts trying to calm people down who were annoyed with WotC's delays and talking about how excited he was about 4.0 and the products that they were planning to put out for it. :(

VanRichten

First Post
As we all know this a result of a business move on WoTC's part, equally so as one on NG's part. I can't blame NG for going the direction they did, after all it is business.

This is indicative of WoTC wanting to regain a greater share of the market, unfortunately in doing so they will lose some support on this matter. However like a divorce in a home, the children of this idea i.e. the gaming community will be the ones to suffer most.

The OGL was a great idea it renewed the community to a strength that had not been felt for years. It made up for the follies of TSR (e.g. 5th Age Dragonlance). Though I feel the GSL will do to 4E what Fallen Empires did to Magic: The Gathering.

soulkeeper

First Post
so who is using the new OGL (or whatever it is called now).

I have counted

- Mongoose
- Goodman games

Is that it for the big name publishers?

Correct me if I am wrong, and I very well may be, but isn't Goodman Games supporting 4E, but not signing the GSL? I was under the impression from things I read that they would be putting out 4E compatible products, but not GSL licensed.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Scribble

First Post
The GSL is what it is.

It's no big suprise to me that people who've invested a lot of money and made money on the OGL are hesitant to throw into the GSL.

The GSL seems designed for one purpose. People who want to make money on a product designed to support D&D- end of story.

What I wonder is if the OGL companies can survive without D&D?

Also will Pathfinder have enough of a fan base that 3pp will help it, as opposed to harm it?

SavageRobby

First Post
Correct me if I am wrong, and I very well may be, but isn't Goodman Games supporting 4E, but not signing the GSL? I was under the impression from things I read that they would be putting out 4E compatible products, but not GSL licensed.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

According to Joe, from a podcast, he's releasing modules at Gencon by using the OGL (really, but only because the GSL won't let him release product that early) - and then after he can release product under the GSL, he will.

Remove ads