• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

re: rich baker's dark sun chat on 12/14

DarthMouth

First Post
Nothing official that I know of, but if goliaths and minotaurs are Medium, I can't imagine they'd make thri-kreen Large. WotC has so far been absolutely unwilling to entertain Large-sized PC races.

(...) And we decided to go with the more upright/humanoid appearance from #e’s MM2 thri-kreen, as opposed to the giant mantis look of old Dark Sun. We used the tech of racial paragon paths to delay some of the abilities that would otherwise be hard to balance with other races. (...)

So.. we got a humanoid size like...

hope the giant-mantis like could be seen on monster compendium as a more salvage line os Keens ...

and hope for feats to use full of his off arms

Dausuul

Legend
(...) And we decided to go with the more upright/humanoid appearance from #e’s MM2 thri-kreen, as opposed to the giant mantis look of old Dark Sun. We used the tech of racial paragon paths to delay some of the abilities that would otherwise be hard to balance with other races. (...)

So.. we got a humanoid size like...

hope the giant-mantis like could be seen on monster compendium as a more salvage line os Keens ...

and hope for feats to use full of his off arms

I expect using the off arms will be a racial power and paragon path thing. Extra attacks are a HUGE deal, too big for a mere feat.

I find it interesting, actually, that they feel they have to explain why thri-kreen can't make four attacks a round or dual-wield greatswords. It doesn't strike me as something much in need of explanation... with all the places where 4E strains verisimilitude, they pick that to worry about?

Were it up to me, I wouldn't have bothered giving thri-kreen two "weak" arms; I'd just say they can only use two arms at a time for weapons and shields, then give them a racial encounter power to make an extra basic attack with an off-hand, plus a paragon path for those who really want to make their PCs into walking Cuisinarts, and left it at that.

[Edit: More specifically, I would say that thri-kreen can hold items all four hands, but they can only have two hands "active" for weapon or shield use at any given point, and it takes a minor action to switch hands, usable once per round.]

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
2552i5u.jpg

Lookin' good...

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Lookin' good...

Can't say I agree. That guy looks like something out of "Antz." Too skinny, too upright, and the little black dots in the eyes have the effect of making him look like a cartoon.

This is what thri-kreen ought to look like IMO:

96402.jpg

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
Can't say I agree. That guy looks like something out of "Antz." Too skinny, too upright, and the little black dots in the eyes have the effect of making him look like a cartoon.

This is what thri-kreen ought to look like IMO:

96402.jpg

I was commenting more on his pose than anything; but the eyes remind me of gecko or something lizardly.

I like both pictures, TBH, but I liked Antz. And I like the more humanoid Thri-Kreen more than the insectoid one for PCs. So good move WotC - keep it up.

Tzarevitch

First Post
What is it with lizards and bugs wearing loincloths? The harness makes perfect sense, but what are the bugs trying to cover with a loincloth?

Dausuul

Legend
I was commenting more on his pose than anything; but the eyes remind me of gecko or something lizardly.

To be fair, the black dots are what praying mantis eyes actually look like. But praying mantises also have much flatter heads, and the eyes are more bulbous and set farther apart.

I like both pictures, TBH, but I liked Antz. And I like the more humanoid Thri-Kreen more than the insectoid one for PCs. So good move WotC - keep it up.

I've got nothing against Antz, it was a fun movie, but it's not exactly in keeping with the flavor of Dark Sun...

What is it with lizards and bugs wearing loincloths? The harness makes perfect sense, but what are the bugs trying to cover with a loincloth?

The fact that the artist isn't sure what to put in that area and so prefers to cover it up and avoid the issue? :)

Insects keep their reproductive organs at the end of the abdomen. Thri-kreen lack insect-style abdomens in 3E/4E, however, so they presumably have theirs in the same place as humans. While I wouldn't expect them to look exactly like human naughty bits, they'd probably be similar enough to make covering them up a prudent move from an artistic perspective.

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
I also feel that even if they didn't have anything there, in a society where they routinely interacted with people/creatures that DID they might wear the traditional garb just to fit in a bit more...

They already seem alien enough, why add one more thing to the list of stuff people might be bugged out (hah!) about you for?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm still kind of fond of the old 2e version.

(Sorry for the quality of this, but it was the best one I could find.)

kreen2.jpg

But, then again, how can one lose with Jason Engle's interpretation?

Thri-Kreen.jpg

I'm fine with all these interpretations, but I like the arms to not be so disproportionate and I like them to look as much like a mantis as possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads