• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reach Weapons

sjmiller

Explorer
One of my players asked me the other day about reach weapons that are not in the PH. He wants to know if there are any that also allow close attacks, as pretty much everything in the PH does not allow that. I said I would ask here and see what I could find. So, can you tell me what weapons and what books they come from that fit this criteria? Thanks!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dragon Compendium v1 has a whole host of new polearms and feats to go with them, including one that let's you attack adjacent foes and another that briefly grants extra reach. Other, similar feats may be found in PHB2 and certain campaign setting books.

Oriental Adventures has some more chain weapons that may also be able tomb used like the spiked chain, like the kusarigama, chain, and others.

Most people who worry about that just take IUC (via the feat or by multiclassing into something like Monk or OA Shaman) or wear armor spikes.

Ranger19k

Explorer
The Arms and Equipment guide has the Dumo that is a longspear with a set of close in blades that allows attacking adjacent creatures, but with a -2 penalty after the first attack.

Complete Adventurer has the Longaxe that allows you to use it as a reach weapon when powerattacking (+3 or more) - but it's only reach then. So you in effect decide each round to use it as reach or not based on your decision to powerattack.

Races of Eberon has the Drow Scorpion Chain which follows PH spiked chain rules.

Oriental Adventures has the Kusari-gama and the Kawanaga, both chain based weapons that can be used as reach that also threatens adjacent squares, or as dual weapons.

Finally, several books have whip based weapons (sandstorm, FR Campaign Setting) that have 15' reach and threaten adjacent but provoke AoO. The best option is the Dagger Whip from Dungeon134 that does lethal damage and doesn't have to worry about natural armor negating the damage, but still has the AoO drawback.

Or take the PH2 Short Haft Feat and use any polearm

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
Oriental Adventures has the Kusari-gama and the Kawanaga, both chain based weapons that can be used as reach that also threatens adjacent squares, or as dual weapons.

Kusari gama rules. Light, threatens at melee and reach, can be used to trip.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Magic Item Compendium, p. 31 has the Changing property that can be applied to a spear, shortspear or longspear for 2000gp. As a swift action once per round, you can make the weapon change to any of those three lengths by a command word. This allows you to have a reach and near length weapon as per your preference each round, but not at the same time.
As an added bonus, you can have the haft and head of the spear change to "any wood, stone, metal, or combination thereof you want..." which, as per RAW, should permit silver, adamantine, cold iron spear tips. Pretty nifty for the price.

Dandu

First Post
Complete Adventurer has the Longaxe that allows you to use it as a reach weapon when powerattacking (+3 or more) - but it's only reach then. So you in effect decide each round to use it as reach or not based on your decision to powerattack.
Say, is that a martial or exotic weapon?

R-Hero

Explorer
I think there is a feat called "Short Haft" or something similar in the Players Handbook II (or DMG II I can't be sure) that allows attacks in adjacent squares. This may solve the need.

Sorry for lack of specifics, I do remember reading it in a 3.5 rulebook, its just not one that I own.

edit: D'oh, I missed where Ranger19k had posted this...

Remove ads