D&D 5E READ AND REPLY TO THIS 5E WARLORD THREAD, SOLDIER

Read the options and vote on all that apply to you

• You can get a better Warlord with a Fighter chassis and an appropriate background and speciality

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • You can't get the 4e Warlord with Fighter + background + specialty

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This bothers my immersion or is not believable

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This doesn't bother my immersion

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I'm a 4e Warlord player and this is rubbish

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm a 4e Warlord player and this is decent to good enough

Votes: 8 15.4%

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Easily enough done for you and your group for a single, epic battle if you want to give the group (i) a force-multiplier, (ii) extra healing/tactical mobility, and (iii) more author/director stance narrative control. Its basically "action points +" as an extra "character". We took a lazy-lord build, rolled initiative, and all 3 PC's took turns using that initiative throughout the course of the fight to either grant themselves the ability or to use themselves as the conduit for the lazy-lord ability. Everyone received + 2 Initiative from Combat Leader aura and Bravura Prescence buff to action points. This was treated as a full extra PC for the encounter formula. They didn't have an extra PC to soak damage and flank with but that was offset through other means. In play it basically worked like this:

- Bladesinger uses this turn's "Warlord" Initiative for Provocative Order on himself; "Entranced in the Bladesong and having slain the enemy before me, the battle has a will unto its own and it leads me into my next strike." He charges a target and does + 1W.

- Rogue/Mariner uses the next "Warlord" turn for Inspiring Word to aid the Druid; "Out of the corner of my eye I catch a trio of orcs closing in on a snarling wolf. I've seen this a thousand times at sea and pulled my men out of the fire. I tear a dagger from my belt, hurl it at one of the orcs' heads and it buries into the tree right next to them, drawing their attention for a moment. All that is needed for a moments reprieve and a swift death for one of them." Move Action for Reorient the Axis (lets the Druid shift away out of the flanking position), Standard Action for Commander's Strike (druid MBA kills one of the orcs). "The fresh kill leaves her muzzle, bloodstained...an invigorated howl ensues", Minor Action for Inspiring Word to heal the Druid.

That's super-cool. I will probably do this next time I have a small group! :)

Kavon

Explorer
Besides whether the Warlord heals wound, prevents damage, or whatever people want it to be able to do, it should NOT be designed to require a certain background and/or specialty.
Since both backgrounds and specialties are supposed to be optional, I don't think you should be required to take them to be able to play the non-magical inspiring/intelligent warrior (Bard doesn't cut it, since that is quite magical - also the whole singing/music/lore thing doesn't fit at all, either).
So, either it is a valid option within the Fighter class (without requiring background/specialty), or it is a class on its own (if it would give too much to the Fighter).

Last edited:

Remove ads