reading on a pda

Eben

First Post
Can you comfortably read documents on a pda? In other words: if I download an e-book, put it on pda, will I be able to sit back and read it in the train, bed (better not take it in the bathtub), ... just like I usally read an ordinary book? If not, are there other solutions other than printing?

cheers,

Peter

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't do it often, but I have read books on my PDA. When I used a Palm, I read Sun Tzu's Art of War. On my spiffy new iPAQ, I've got a copy of Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations that I'm trying to wade through. I've also got a dictionary, Bible, and the SRD on it, for reference.

The print is slightly smaller than most books, but not too bad (and most things have a zoom setting). I can read in bed without my contacts in.

I'd probably read more books on my PDA, but DRM means that I'd still have to pay something of note for the book and am then subject to some headaches. About the only thing I read are "classics" that have entered the public domain and are, thus, free. They are also incredibly dry, most of the time.

If DRM doesn't bother you, though, there is a reasonable selection of material.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I do it all the time. I'm very comfortable with small text, so I've got a conversion of the 3.5SRD on my PalmPilot, along with the 3.5 XPH. I've also got storyhours from Contact, Sepulchrave and Dr Midnight (alongside "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers, "Taming of the Shrew" and "Longhorn UI Guidelines". I'm moderatly eclectic in my reading interests!

Cheers

XCorvis

First Post
I've found that a pda is easy to read on as long as the document you're reading doesn't have any line width restrictions. If the line width must be longer than the pda screen is wide, then it can get very hard to read, especially if tables are involved.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Eben said:
Can you comfortably read documents on a pda? In other words: if I download an e-book, put it on pda, will I be able to sit back and read it in the train, bed (better not take it in the bathtub), ... just like I usally read an ordinary book? If not, are there other solutions other than printing?

cheers,

Peter

I generally don't read e-books on my PDA (Zire 71), but I read plenty of notes, documents, etc. So, I'd say it's fairly comfortable. Two things to keep in mind to help your eyes: backlight (common in most current and new PDAs) and a high-res screen (for Palm PDAs, this means 320x320 at least; I'm not sure about PocketPC, but I think they're all high-res(?)).

Purple

First Post
I read a lot on my Zodiac, usually 2-3 books a week while I'm at work. I think I have something like 175 e-books on there right now.

I like the Zodiac because the screen is wider than it is tall (480x320), and I've gotten very comfortable with reading that way now that I've done it for a while. It is great because you can pull it out whenever you have a few minutes (waiting in line, waiting for something at work, etc.) and read a few pages, then put it back.

And, if you are looking for some free books to try out to see if you like it, I'd recommend www.baen.com, where they have a large list of books in the free library. No DRM, just download and read.

Lee

Mercule

Adventurer
MythosaAkira said:
I'm not sure about PocketPC, but I think they're all high-res(?)).
I spent most of last year programming for Palm and PPC. The PPC screen has considerably better resolution than the Palm (assuming standard for both -- the mobile phone versions of each can be weird). I don't remember the exact size anymore, but it's something like 166% as large along both axes.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I have about ten novels on my IPAC (all FREE from Black Mask www.blackmask.com) and have no problem reading them, using MS-Reader. I have also converted docs to MS-Reader for use (does not like tables) and Word docs as is with Pocket word, and while readaable formating may need adjustment (select all, format change).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mercule said:
I spent most of last year programming for Palm and PPC. The PPC screen has considerably better resolution than the Palm (assuming standard for both -- the mobile phone versions of each can be weird). I don't remember the exact size anymore, but it's something like 166% as large along both axes.

I must correct you Mercule...

Typical PPC resolution is 320x240

Typical current Palm resolution is 320x320 (and some models like Tungsten T3 and some Sony models are 320x480)

- you are maybe thinking of the old Palm standard which was 160x160, but that is old, old, old!

Mercule

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
I must correct you Mercule...

Typical PPC resolution is 320x240

Typical current Palm resolution is 320x320 (and some models like Tungsten T3 and some Sony models are 320x480)

- you are maybe thinking of the old Palm standard which was 160x160, but that is old, old, old!
Interesting. I was working with "hardened/industrial" versions of each. These Palms must use the old resolution because 160x160 sounds right. My own, personal, Palm is a IIIe, so it would qualify as old-old.

Remove ads