D&D General Reading Ravenloft the setting

If Ravenloft is only Gothic Horror, explain Kaliday. Explain Bluetspur. Explain the Wildlands.

Ravenloft has embraced the gothic, but it has also dipped it's toe into body horror, psychological horror, and slasher horror. I don't think much is going to change, to be honest.

kalidnay came much later but I would say it was mostly gothic and classic as originally conceived. The nightmare lands, G’henna, and Bluetspur were potential exceptions (though I think the nightmare lands and G’henna fit). The original boxed set specifically rejected slasher movies (and I love slashers but Ravenloft definitely was going more for classic horror, not Friday 13th or Texas Chainsaw)

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
This discussion all been pretty interesting to me, as someone who hasn't really ever got into Ravenloft before but is intrigued by a the upcoming book and running some more horror themed D&D games. It does feel like WotC wants to make some changes and broaden the focus of the setting. Your mileage may vary on that, but it makes sense. No real point to releasing a book if it's just going to rehash what is already out there.

This is such a misguided notion. You can enjoy classic literature and tropes, you can use classic tropes and monsters, without believing in the 19th century worldview. Just like 100-200 years from now, people will be able to watch our movies and read our books without embracing a 21st century worldview (I hope at least).
You can enjoy classic literature because you judge the writer by the values of their time. But literature published today is judged by the values of today.

You can enjoy classic literature because you judge the writer by the values of their time. But literature published today is judged by the values of today.
Of course it is, as was Ravenloft when it came out. But maybe we've become so judgmental it is impossible for us to even enjoy older tropes? (and maybe we are missing the forest from the trees in how we apply our judgement: it seems to me there is an intensity to our level of criticism that is very counter productive because it often sweeps up things that are trying to say the opposite of what the critics assume they are saying....again content doesn't equal message). Maybe there is an issue with the way in which we judge things today, where we aren't even really seeing things for what they are, but always casting them in the worst possible light, always leaning on the least charitable possible interpretation.

Remathilis

Legend
kalidnay came much later but I would say it was mostly gothic and classic as originally conceived. The nightmare lands, G’henna, and Bluetspur were potential exceptions (though I think the nightmare lands and G’henna fit). The original boxed set specifically rejected slasher movies (and I love slashers but Ravenloft definitely was going more for classic horror, not Friday 13th or Texas Chainsaw)
Ravenloft was attempting to reject the idea horror should be visceral; blood and guts and severed limbs. And it was successful at that. But it didn't really reject the tenants of slasher horror either. Verbrek is more Camp Crystal Lake than it is the Wolfman for example.

Like you, I don't find all the tropes of gothic horror innately wrong, but the presentation of them could use some freshening up. And a few new ideas like zombie apocalypse or illusion masquerade will freshen up the dustier or repetitive areas.

Of course it is, as was Ravenloft when it came out.
Which was a long time ago, and the world has changed enormously. Well, maybe it hasn't for you, maybe you live in some backwater that time has passed by, but my world is unrecognisable compared to how it was when Ravenloft was first published.
But maybe we've become so judgmental it is impossible for us to even enjoy older tropes?
If you try publishing them today, yes.

Which was a long time ago, and the world has changed enormously. Well, maybe it hasn't for you, maybe you live in some backwater that time has passed by, but my world is unrecognisable compared to how it was when Ravenloft was first published.

Dear lord. This is exactly the kind of uncharitable interpretation I am talking about. Someone being able to enjoy old films, old books, and a Ravenloft boxed set in 1990 doesn't mean they live in some mental or cultural backwater. Chances are you and I don't disagree on much politically I am guessing. But I think you are seizing an opportunity where someone disagrees with you slightly about media to pontificate and vent

Remove ads