Reading the Eberron Novels -- Where to Begin?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Our "Storm King's Thunder" adventure path is coming to a close, and the group has voted to end the campaign. We will begin anew with first-level characters, and we have chosen Eberron to be our campaign setting. Everyone is very excited about it, and I'm no exception, but this whole setting is brand-new to me. I never played it, not even at the height of the 3rd Edition system.

I picked up the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron a while ago, and I got Eberron: Rising from the Last War for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. So I'm all set, rules-wise. But I'm struggling to get immersed in it. I need to get my head around the history, the lore, the geography, etc., because at the moment my brain still defaults back to Forgotten Realms.

I think a good way to do that is to read some of the novels. Could some of you fine people recommend a novel (or two) that would best capture the history, lore, and world of Eberron? Something that might get the creative juices flowing? There are plenty to choose from, but I don't quite know where to begin.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
A good place to start is Keith Baker's Dreaming Dark trilogy. It was the first series published for the setting, is written by the world's creator, and is a pretty good overview of the setting and its themes.

I'm also a fan of Don Bassingthwaite's Dragon Below trilogy from the same era

Last edited:

Remove ads