• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Real life 'dungeons' you can visit

Retreater

Legend
Come to my neck of the woods and see Mammoth Cave in central Kentucky. If it works out, I can even run a game of D&D for you.
1625070332893.png

1625070378399.png

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The ksars (hill forts, typically built to defend granaries) of Tunisia are also pretty interesting. When I was last there 15-ish years ago, several of them were in ruins and completely open. It was very eerie walking among the rickety walls, partly because they weren';t exactly safe and partly because it felt wrong doing it, accustomed as I am of such things being secured in parks or museums.

(Also, checking out ruined Star Wars set is a fun "adventure"!)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Oh, and the Basilica Cistern in Istanbul is pretty neat.. especially the weird monster heads and things tucked away here and there:

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Oh, and the Basilica Cistern in Istanbul is pretty neat.. especially the weird monster heads and things tucked away here and there:

I remember exploring cisterns in Israel 25 years back. In no small part because one of the sites was only accessible by an extremely steep descent (I think it was Arbela) and I lost my footing and nearly fell off a cliff.

It was worth it though to go crawling through passageways that opened up onto huge spaces.

Undrave

Legend
The ruins on the Palatine Hill in Rome (really the entire area around the old Forum), have a strong "open air" dungeon vibe.

For a more contemporary locale, Every time I visit Chicago I'm struck by how layered a city can be, with these underground sections that feel like modern labyrinths.
Both Toronto and Montreal have extensive underground tunnel system in their downtown core that makes traversing the city in the winter much easier. The local university also has a pretty impressive tunnel system that makes it that some students can spend the entire winter without going outside if they want to.

Another modern 'dungeon' is the Difenbunker near Ottawa! A Cold War era bunker meant to house the Prime Minister and the government.

And, if you have kids, you can do have fun at Montreal's S.O.S. Labyrinth, an indoor labyrinth where you have to find four 'treasures' before exiting. The whole thing is built out of textile panel so they periodically reconfigure the whole thing and the experience is timed if you want to try for the leaderboard!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Ancient underground city of Derinkuyu in Turkey.

I'd love to see this someday. I changed part of the Forgotten Realms to be like this.....

Remove ads