• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Real life 'dungeons' you can visit

Come to my neck of the woods and see Mammoth Cave in central Kentucky. If it works out, I can even run a game of D&D for you.
View attachment 139268
View attachment 139269
Given how large the entire Mammoth Cave system is (it's by far the longest in the world), there's nothing more similar to the Underdark on the planet, especially given the size and lengths of the main tunnels. Even one of the medium-length tours will have you feeling like there might be drow hiding in some shadowy nook...

Retreater

Legend
Given how large the entire Mammoth Cave system is (it's by far the longest in the world), there's nothing more similar to the Underdark on the planet, especially given the size and lengths of the main tunnels. Even one of the medium-length tours will have you feeling like there might be drow hiding in some shadowy nook...
Yes. It's a great campaign setting, even looking at the "overworld" above. You can easily spend hours down there, and lots of great history (an old Revolutionary War era ammunition factory, a tuberculosis hospital, etc.) I use the area as an inspiration in my home game, and I keep a map of the cave system in my gaming room.

Although technically not a dungeon - the cliff dwellings of mesa verde always inspired me.
Mesa Verde National Park
635999554504046520-View-of-Cliff-Palace-from-above-credit-NPS-Photo.jpg
It's the gnoll fortress from Baldur's Gate.

aco175

Legend
There is this place in New Zealand that I would like to visit. Most likely a Peter Jackson tourist trap though. But he can have more of my money.

1625597464673.png

Remove ads