Real Religion in Adventure Design

Ulfgeir

Hero
A
There are many Catholic priests who think that there is no principled theological objection to the ordination of women. I'm not going to express a view on these boards as to whether or not I agree with them. But clearly they don't think od themselves that they're heretics!
Ah, but do they expect the Spanish inquisition? :)

And there has been throughout history lots of cults and religious leaders that I think we can fairly safely label as villains by today's standards.

Ixal

Hero
And there has been throughout history lots of cults and religious leaders that I think we can fairly safely label as villains by today's standards.
And a lot of cults which were labelled villains back then but would be seen much more sympathetic today (Cathars for example)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Folks, when you start saying that people with particular real-world religious beliefs should, or should not, be labelled as villains is a point at which you bush up against the no real-world religion rule.

Take several steps back from that line, please and thanks, or the thread will just be closed.

Retreater

Legend
I have used my own experiences with real world religions to inform my campaigns, but unless I am running something set in our world (like Call of Cthulhu), I don't use real religions, historical figures, etc. For me it breaks verisimilitude and can ruffle feathers of the players.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
It's super-table-dependent, and I personally would stay away from any of that if it involved real-world religions people were still practicing. Too much risk of really pissing people off.

I mean, you might be playing with a table of Christians who would really enjoy being paladins and clerics of God fighting devils. But you'd know that about your group. None of us would.

I was from a mixed marriage (Jewish-Christian), joined a discussion about including Jewish elements here because I thought it was a neat idea, and it had to be shut down because apparently there were Jewish posters accusing each other of antisemitism. My point is, even if you think you're OK talking about this stuff, you're often not, and then someone goes and gets really offended and doesn't tell you.

The old rule used to be that you didn't discuss politics, religion, sex, or money in public. Seems sensible enough (unless you're in a club devoted to that sort of thing like a Bible study or you're volunteering for some politician of course).

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
There are many Catholic priests who think that there is no principled theological objection to the ordination of women. I'm not going to express a view on these boards as to whether or not I agree with them. But clearly they don't think od themselves that they're heretics!
It's a dogma; See Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, penned by HH John Paul II, making it blackletter and reiterating and dogmatizing what HH Paul VI said to the Anglican Communion when the Anglicans decided to ordain women: women are invalid subjects for priestly ordination. HH Paul immediately closed the dialogues towards mutual recognition. That also lead to the eventual formation of the Anglican Use within the Roman Church. HH JP II's Ordinatio Sacerdotalis uses the "settling the question once and for all" wording...
Link to OS in case you care to read it - I linked to the English, rather than the Latin or Italian: Ordinatio Sacerdotalis (May 22, 1994) | John Paul II
The thing is, most Catholics in the US don't know the catechism. Most have never actually read the official catechism, let alone the assorted doctrinal statements made ex-cathedra.
And note, the issue was in discussion in the 2nd century, too... and the 16th, 19th and 20th centuries...

If doing Alt-History, the place to make the change would be St Paul's ordination of St Pheobe. If he had ordained her to the presbyterate, the whole of Catholic History would be different. He did use the Greek "diakonos" for her, and she was trusted by him to teach from his letters.
We also know that, in the second century church, the deaconesses were communed in the same manner as the deacons, unlike the subdeacons, and actually had authority over the subdeacons. St Paul, such a rabble-rouser... ;)

Remove ads