• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real world clothing stinks

Rawion

First Post
I am big into the study of medieval and/or fantasy stuff. from architecture to philosophy to clothing. that is what I want to adress. I LOVE the clothing of the elves in LotR and ranger/rogue style clothing in D&D, but it just does'nt seem to exist in the real world unless you go to a costume shop or make it yourself. I like the semi-loose feel of elvish tunics with their subtle art-noveau embroidery along with the neckline and waistline shapes and the wide sleeve ends. I also like the utilitarian features of D&D clothes with lots of pockets and designed for ease of movement and comfort. Also naturesque themes. To buy utilitarian clothes u have to buy expensive stuff like northface gear but it still does'nt have the same sneaky woodsman feel. To buy embrodery and tunics and such is to buy expensive traditional ethnic clothing thats hard to find anyway. If anyone has any ideas abour finding this stuff please let me know. Also any ideas that build on this are joyfully read. So.... HERE YA GO! :D

Wik

First Post
Hm. I wonder how many LARPers are on ENWorld? I imagine a fair amount.

Really, though, I didn't think it'd be too hard to find good LARP-quality stuff. But I sorta figured making it yourself was part of the charm?

Pbartender

First Post
I like the semi-loose feel of elvish tunics with their subtle art-noveau embroidery along with the neckline and waistline shapes and the wide sleeve ends. I also like the utilitarian features of D&D clothes with lots of pockets and designed for ease of movement and comfort. Also naturesque themes.

Almost sounds like you're looking for "commando hippie" stylings.

Cruise the thrift stores for late 60's styles, especially the loose-fitting embroidered "tunics" with flared sleeves that were so popular withthe counter culture of the time.

To get the utilitarian-woodsman vibe, find a good military surplus store and pick up a military field jacket or vest and maybe some fatigue pants to top it off.

It's not quite exactly what you're looking for, but it'd be the closest you're going find inexpensively in modern stores.

Most modern clothes are designed to be cheap. Even high end fashion doesn't drift far from the appearance of cheap stuff, because most people wouldn't know what to make of it.

Fantasy clothing would be too expensive for most people, but adventurers apparently make gobs of money and can afford custom-crafted apparel. Most people in a pseudo-medieval or Renaissance setting would be wearing crap even Wal-Mart wouldn't carry.

roguerouge

First Post
I couldn't agree more. I can't even find the hammerspace activator on my jeans, let alone the familiar pocket. And my golf bag of weapons seems to have only wood and metal clubs. Where's the adamantine? The silvered? The cold iron?

So frustrating...

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace

Gotta say that the support for men in kilts and 'unbifurcated' garments on Garb the World and Kiltmen.com are really awesome.
I feel so repressed. I'm actually being serious here.

Remove ads