• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real world clothing stinks

Andor

First Post
You're pretty much not going to find what you want. You'll have to make it, or have it made for you. If you can't sew you'll have to either learn, or find someone who makes clothes for theatre, larp, cosplay or professionally.

And unless you're a skinny athletic type, you're pretty much never going to get anything to look as good as they do in the movies in you.

If you just want comfort and utility get a utilikilt.

Rawion

First Post
Good lord, is anyone going to try and stop this madness? You really do not need to be running around in an elven ranger outfit with tumbling pads in non-convention/larp situations.
Aw come on. :p Is it not good to be prepared? Besides I'm a traceur,
martial artist and a survivalist. Being equiped for any/all dangerous situations is my specialty.:)

Imperialus

Explorer
Most modern clothes are designed to be cheap. Even high end fashion doesn't drift far from the appearance of cheap stuff, because most people wouldn't know what to make of it.

Fantasy clothing would be too expensive for most people, but adventurers apparently make gobs of money and can afford custom-crafted apparel. Most people in a pseudo-medieval or Renaissance setting would be wearing crap even Wal-Mart wouldn't carry.

Yeah... A rough spun wool tunic and leggings just aren't going to be the height of fashion ever.

Remember, for most of the middle ages even cotton was a luxury good.

pathfinderq1

First Post
If that is what you really want, there are garb sites out there. Museum Replicas and Chivalry Sports both have reasonably good stuff (mostly a bit expensive too)- or you could find a ren faire or SCA merchant event. There are many other people who make this kind of stuff to order on a smaller scale- just search for 'garb'. I would highly recommend Threads of Time- they did the garb for my wedding.

With that said, most medieval stuff does not have much in the way of pockets- that is what pouches are for, and looks of very nice looking garb is not too durable for active sustained use. Most of the LARP folk I know use military-surplus combat fatigue pants (black, of course)- durable, and lots of pockets, plus they look reasonably good when bloused into a pair of cavalier boots. But, as other folk have said, be prepared to have you look at you funny if you dress this way 'in public'- they will all be thinking not 'neat, but 'weird'. I speak from experience- years of wearing a heavy wool rain cloak rather than a rain coat or umbrella...

Leif

Adventurer
Assuming that you are not able to readily find a supplier by contacting your local chapter of the SCA, what you might try doing is this: Visit a local fabric merchant, and tell them what you desire. Most such places maintain a list of their customers who do sewing-for-hire and are more than happy to provide you with the information.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I agree that alot fantasy clothing is ridiculous. However, ranger clothing has to be functional by law.:lol:

Law does not necessarily admit to physical possiblity.

Also in my original post I mentioned the evlish clothing on LotR. Have you seen the design pics of the clothes? Especially for Legolas. Never before have I seen such a perfect combination of utility, comfort, and beauty.

Design pics do not demonstrate utility or comfort. Costume pieces rarely provide either. I have no reason to believe that those for LotR were any different.

They may look utilitarian and comfortable, but that's probably because they are worn by actors, who get paid a lot of money to look comfortable and competent, even when heavily laden with latex prosthetics and wearing a costume of tin foil and bubble wrap.

Last edited:

Law does not necessarily admit to physical possiblity.

Design pics do not demonstrate utility or comfort. Costume pieces rarely provide either. I have no reason to believe that those for LotR were any different.

They may look utilitarian and comfortable, but that's probably because they are worn by actors, who get paid a lot of money to look comfortable and competent, even when heavily laden with latex prosthetics and wearing a costume of tin foil and bubble wrap.

As someone who sews their own - I would tend to agree....
Historical fashion was utilitarian - period. Unless you had money to purchase the extremely luxurious (silk, damask, etc) you were stuck with wool, linen and flaxen linen (your undies were made out of beaten plant fibers - now imagine THAT wedgie).

If you want stylish and accessible you will most likely
a) pay out lots of money
b) learn how to sew
c) suffer

Sorry, but that's pretty much the way of things now a days.
:.-(

Remove ads