Really stupid question about powers

Chain Lightning

First Post
So, I recently bought the 4th Edition Player's Handbook. I'm reading it. I'm loving it so far.

Then I run into something I can't seem to find an answer for. Now, I tried finding the answer on my own, but I must have taken a stupid pill lately and I just simply can't find it. I looked at the index, I've looked at the text at the beginning of the chapter 4, I've read the beginning of chapter 1.....still can't find it.

Here's the question: In Chapter 4 "Character Class", under powers listed for classes and under Hit, what does it mean when it says (for example under Wrathful Thunder p.63), "1[W]"?

What does that "W" mean? Also, what page was I suppose to read to know it? I've combed through "how to read a power" and I can't find the answer. Unless, its right under my nose.

Anyways, thanks for any help here on this very simple question.

Gloombunny

First Post
As galaga said, [W] is the damage die from your weapon. Or damage dice, for the weapons that do 2d4 or 2d6 damage. (So 2[W] on a maul would be 4d6.)

This is explained on p. 276. It should be explained in the "how to read a power" section, but it's not. :/

Calidarien

First Post
For what it's worth, it is very tangentially mentioned in the "How to Read a Power" section in the discussion of the "Hit" entry (PHB p.57). Under there, it says (in a ridiculously easy-to-miss sentence), "See ... page 269[ff] ... [for] how to deal damage ..." That sentence could probably use a giant blinking red arrow. =P

Chain Lightning

First Post
AH!

Thankyou so much! Page 276 huh? Well, yeah...should've been in the "How to read powers" section. However, if they weren't going to put it there for economy of not repeating things, it would've been nice to have a glossary of abbreviations or be listed in the Index.

Sheesh....I wonder what other stuff I'll run into. :erm:

Anyways, thanks guys.:)

Dalzig

First Post
AH!

Thankyou so much! Page 276 huh? Well, yeah...should've been in the "How to read powers" section. However, if they weren't going to put it there for economy of not repeating things, it would've been nice to have a glossary of abbreviations or be listed in the Index.

Sheesh....I wonder what other stuff I'll run into. :erm:

Anyways, thanks guys.:)
I've found the Table of Contents much more helpful than the index...

Chain Lightning

First Post
Actually, Table of Contents didn't help either. When I had the question, I just used it to go to "How to Read a Power". Before coming here, I felt that the section didn't help me at all. Later.... as Calidarien says, it does actually point you in the right direction.

For what it's worth, it is very tangentially mentioned in the "How to Read a Power" section in the discussion of the "Hit" entry (PHB p.57). Under there, it says (in a ridiculously easy-to-miss sentence), "See ... page 269[ff] ... [for] how to deal damage ..." That sentence could probably use a giant blinking red arrow. =P

Heh heh, I see what happened here.

If I was new to D&D, I would've thumbed forward to P.269, read it and got the info. However, the sentance says, "See 'Attacks and Defenses", page 269, for how to make attack rolls....."

Upon seeing that, I'm like, "whatever, I know how to make attack rolls! 2d6+5 means two six-sided dice rolled and then add five! I know that already! I wanna know what 'W' is!"

Funny thing is, that 'W' is part of the damage abbreviations in new 4th Edition and my mind is thinking its for something else entirely.

Oh well, now I know.

Remove ads