• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Realms Recent History

tomservo999

Explorer
I never upgraded to 4e,and I have not been playing actively for a couple years now. Apparently the Forgotten Realms timeline advanced quite a bit between 3.5 and 5E, . I am going to start a 5E Realms game very soon, and I need some help finding a concise history of the Realms covering the events between 3.5 and 5E. Tried the Forgotten Realms wiki, but their is little to no information about the Realms past 1385 DR. Is there a good web site source for this info?

tomservo999

Explorer
I'd recommend just picking up where 3.5E left off. A lot of folks really, really don't like what was done to the 4E Realms.

The more I read what they did to the Realms, the more I am inclined to agree. I am probably just going to convert the Tearing of the Weave adventure series to 5E, since I never got to run it with my old 3.5 group. Now I just need to convert the Shades, Phaerimm, and Sharn to 5E.

Chthonic

First Post
BTW First post, hi everyone :)

I agree with most posts on this thread. I myself started a campaign on the Realms a few weeks ago, as our first 5ed game. I decided to set it pre-spellplague, 1372 (year of the wild magic). There's plenty of info on the realms wiki about that epoch, because of the videogames, and all

Last edited:

tomservo999

Explorer
Yeah, the wiki page will give me lots of ideas I can use as I progress my campaign. And I can just ignore the stuff I don't want to use...i.e. Spellplague.

sgtscott658

First Post
I do agree that the 4E realms was not something I cared for. Ed Greenwood has said that with every new edition, there will be a Realms shaking event. This includes changes in how magic works and changes in geography. But as someone who DM's the Realms, I would much rather put my own spin on any world shaking events rather someone else.

In my Realms campaign I set the date at 1370DR the year of the Tankard. This avoids all the goofy stuff from 4E realms and put me in charge of any changes I want go with for my own realms campaign.

Scott

BTW First post, hi everyone :)

I agree with most posts on this thread. I myself started a campaign on the Realms a few weeks ago, as our first 5ed game. I decided to set it pre-spellplague, 1372 (year of the wild magic). There's plenty of info on the realms wiki about that epoch, because of the videogames, and all

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I'd recommend just picking up where 3.5E left off. A lot of folks really, really don't like what was done to the 4E Realms.

Ok, Im not the only one.That is the plan Ive adopted. Im starting my DR date to 1373, the Year of the Rogue Dragons (keeping with the theme of the Rise of Tiamat).

Im ignorning just about everything mentioned in the 4e FR campaign books, just resetting the chronicle to 3.5 as if 4e never happened (or happened in an alternate FR plane)

Last edited:

Prism

Explorer
For the most part the 4e changes had no actual effect on our day to day adventuring in the realms. We mostly stuck to the sword coast where the only things different that I could see was the partial destruction of Neverwinter which I reckon actually made it more interesting.

We did use some of the 4e changes to create some pretty cool adventures though.

We travelled to an abandoned Lantan
We encountered areas of Spellplague
We had an adventure in a now land bound sea watch tower
We rescued a chosen of Chauntea from a Netherese camp
We took part in the Sundering adventures

All of these used various bits of the 4e timeline which enhanced our game rather than ruined it

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads