• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reascension Campaign

perivas

First Post
I have noticed that my group is seriously interested in an epic-level campaign (since they haven’t managed to remotely reach these levels yet in their other campaign). I spent a little time and came up with what I consider a fairly good premise. Please bear in mind that this is more difficult than it sounds for me. I believe that epic-level characters will no longer be interested in dungeon-crawling and most mundane concerns, rather than adventures should be based on the accumulation of temporal/arcane/religious power, rather than personal abilities. Without playing through the levels, it would take a tremendous amount of work with the players to establish a complex network of alliances/relationships to properly mimic the status of epic level characters.

Anyhow, here’s my idea. In the not-too-distant past, a great war in the heavens left the characters as gods (after they had slain and replaced the renegade gods) in the service of the One God. The One God eventually concluded that a monotheistic society would be better and started to cast out the other gods by destroying their followers. Anyways, the campaign starts with the characters escaping to the prime material plane deep in a forest and battling celestials. They come to find out that they had become mortals with mortal needs. At this point they are free to do as they wish, except they’ll probably be motivated by the following:

1. Persecution by the One-God’s Church, which has condemned them as the blasphemous demons;
2. Assassination attempts by demons/devils who used to be oppressed and defeated by the characters; and
3. The One-God’s attempt to dissolve magic and thus, purify the world.

The PCs’ problems can be solved by reascending to godhood, except their prior method of reascension is no longer valid (i.e., no gods are left, except the One-God, for them to slay and replace). Now, what I’m looking for are methods to ascend to deity status. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Hero worship via the performance of great deeds
2. Seeking out the final spell of Karsus (yes, this is an FR campaign, but heavily house-ruled and moved into the distant future)
3. Slaying the One-God, if they really want to, or other gods far from Faerun.

Any more suggestions?

Last edited:

Chonicler

First Post
Sounds like an excellent campaign.

Any more suggestions?

There's always the standard gather-artifacts-and-powerful-magic routine to perform some ritual or other that grants ascension.

I don't know if all the lower planar creatures would be opposed to their attempts at reascension - I can certainly see a few minor demons with cults willing to aid them in their quest in exchange for power once they manage to ascend.

There might also be a few fallen celestials who want revenge.

Remove ads