D&D 5E Reasons Why My Interest in 5e is Waning

BryonD

Hero
I've discovered that there are certain people on this forum I simply cannot carry on conversation with. BryonD is one of them. We simply cannot have a productive conversation.
It is shame that Hussar is uncomfortable with me consistently refusing to let him put words in my mouth.
I agree that it is quite difficult to have a productive conversation.
You'll note that I have no need to ignore him.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I just picked up Princes of the Apocalypse and have only had a little time to skim through it, but if Wotc only releases 2 of these types of books a year I think that is just fine! The amount of material in this book is basically a new version of the game. It has pages of customized creatures/foes, lots of sidetreks that can be used throughout the campaign in addition to the main ones in the campaign itself. It has the new spells and the Genasi. That with the free PDF player's companion (which has other races) gives me a ton to work with.

That said, I do hope that WotC lets others publish short adventures (if they don't do it themselves), or they revive a Dungeon type magazine (even in pdf version). I also hope they work out a deal with Fantasy Grounds to sell campaign/adventure modules that pre-load monsters and encounters, etc. That would definitely make my life easier.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I think that the negativity in this thread towards what WotC may or may not release to be really overblown. We still haven't heard Gen Con announcements. We still haven't seen what's coming out of that "Open Call". Many here see the core books and adventure paths and assume that since nothing else has been announced that that's all we're going to get.

Complain if we have neither a settings nor magazine announcement by year's end. Otherwise, prognosticating doom and gloom is extremely premature.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I just picked up Princes of the Apocalypse and have only had a little time to skim through it, but if Wotc only releases 2 of these types of books a year I think that is just fine! The amount of material in this book is basically a new version of the game. It has pages of customized creatures/foes, lots of sidetreks that can be used throughout the campaign in addition to the main ones in the campaign itself. It has the new spells and the Genasi. That with the free PDF player's companion (which has other races) gives me a ton to work with.

That said, I do hope that WotC lets others publish short adventures (if they don't do it themselves), or they revive a Dungeon type magazine (even in pdf version). I also hope they work out a deal with Fantasy Grounds to sell campaign/adventure modules that pre-load monsters and encounters, etc. That would definitely make my life easier.

Xp'd and quoted for justice and truth!

Sadras

Legend
Funny enough, given all the glowing reviews of PotA, I was just about to post something similar to what @Neechen said upthread and take it a step further and declare this thread dead!

Uchawi

First Post
Except for a truly good review of PoTA, people will actually have to play it or more people will need access to it. So it will probably be May or June until the final consensus is out.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I think that the negativity in this thread towards what WotC may or may not release to be really overblown. We still haven't heard Gen Con announcements. We still haven't seen what's coming out of that "Open Call". Many here see the core books and adventure paths and assume that since nothing else has been announced that that's all we're going to get.

Complain if we have neither a settings nor magazine announcement by year's end. Otherwise, prognosticating doom and gloom is extremely premature.

While it's true we don't know much about Gen Con or after, we do know pretty much everything up to that and it's quite sparse; any fresh announcements at this point are most likely going to be for Gen Con or later, so the release schedule for everything up to mid to late summer is pretty much known at this point. And I don't really see the level of material in later periods changing that much later on given the small team they have working on it. While we will almost certainly see something, it's not likely to dramatically change the overall level of output, unless the magazines are risen from the grave in some form. That can be taken as negative or as positive as you like, but it pretty much is likely to be reality for the rpg given their repeated statements of wanting to focus on expanding the brand to other markets.

The biggest game changers they could do at this point for the rpg would be an OGL type license or resurrecting the magazines. The former would certainly help the customers and the industry if written well, but probably not do much for WotC or their sales, so even if we do eventually get one, it will probably be far enough in the future to miss the initial surge of interest that could have really helped establish 5E as a true contender in the rpg market, and the magazine is extremely unlikely. I would say if we don't see either of these things by Gen Con, we're not going to see them at all, and the sparse release schedule we see right now will be the norm. That's seems to be fine with WotC, and many posters here, but it will not be enough to keep 5E consistently near the top of any charts. As an rpg, D&D has all but ceded the throne to whoever wants to step up and claim it; right now that's Paizo, but looking forward there are other potential contenders as well. Even with an open license and/or the magazines, the formal brand is not likely to hold the top position consistently.

Prognosticating what you consider to be doom and gloom as 100% guaranteed may be premature, but short of a truly stunning announcement that would most likely be saved for Gen Con, a mostly placeholder rpg for the long term is becoming more and more likely. For better or for worse, the rpg simply isn't likely to get that much attention this go around; that much is already quite clear. The real question is whether or not that turns out to be a good strategy for the brand as a whole or not, and it will take several years to work itself out before we know the answer to that one.

Mercurius

Legend
If all of that is true, [MENTION=6667193]sunshadow21[/MENTION], it truly is puzzling because of the success of the edition, both in terms of community embrace and (presumably) sales. You'd think they'd want to really exploit it and offer a fuller release schedule, even if one reduced from previous editions. We know that the cash cow in D&D is the initial core rules, so maybe they just figure that everything else isn't worthwhile - or only enough to keep the ship floating as a placeholder for other licensed material.

But I'm not ready to say that is the case. I still think it is possible, as someone once said in some thread on this forum, that they were playing wait and see on 5E and then would determine what to produce depending upon its popularity. It could be that they have big plans but are still working out how to make them happen, and don't want to announce anything until they do. We can hope, at least.

sunshadow21

Explorer
But I'm not ready to say that is the case. I still think it is possible, as someone once said in some thread on this forum, that they were playing wait and see on 5E and then would determine what to produce depending upon its popularity. It could be that they have big plans but are still working out how to make them happen, and don't want to announce anything until they do. We can hope, at least.

It's possible, but they've already missed most of their opportunity to ride the initial wave of success. It's not impossible that more is in the works, but given the small dev team, it's not particularly likely that we will see that much more from WotC directly. For the rpg, the only way that we'll see a notable amount of material is through some kind of open license unless WotC suddenly goes on a hiring spree and increases the size of the dev team. I would say that if we haven't heard anything more by late summer, what we are seeing now is basically what we are going to get, at least for the rpg. Some will see this as a negative, some will see it as a positive, but it's increasingly likely that it will be the long term reality.

Remove ads