• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me a Setting for a Shadowrun Campaign

Shades of Green

First Post
I've been thinking about planning (for the long term) a Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition (essentially a newer version of the 4th edition) campaign, with my beloved spouse Hani as the main player. We've already played Shadowrun 4E a few years ago, set in the quasi-post-apocalyptic Puyallup Barrens, and we had TONS of fun despite the fact that this was Hani's first ever RPG experience and thus she had a tough time with the rules. In that campaign she played a Human Bear Shaman and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Now I'm planning again a Shadowrun campaign set in the 20th Anniversary Edition timeline (the year is 2072 in game). This time around Hani wants to play an Ork Combat Hacker. and wants an urban campaign in contrast with the old 'wild territory' campaign.

The thing is that I'm not as familiar with the 2072 setting as opposed to the 2050's and early 2060's back when I was deeply into 2E/3E Shadowrun.

So I'm looking for a good setting for the next campaign. I need an urban setting, so Seattle is of course the first pick, but I might want to try something new, as most of my previous Shadowrun games were set there. I also need an interesting place where a wide variety of runs could be had.

I'd like to have a place with a current sourcebook. The two cities in the US I'm most familiar with IRL are NYC (where friends of my family live) and Chicago (when I was born and lived for a few years before moving to Israel with my parents). However, from what I recall from Shadowrun, NYC is quite solidly corporate (that is, a gated corporate enclave - or is it?) and Chicago is a bit too wild.

So I'm open to suggestions of cities around the Sixth World as well as location sourcebooks for Shadowrun 4E.

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
Try posting on the dumpshock.com forums. It's the home of SR on the web.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the 20th Anniversary edition and most of 4E. Why don't you set the game earlier in the timline and use your 2E/3E material/knowledge?

Wik

First Post
Hong Kong.

East meets West, so you can still play it up as mostly western, but still throw some eastern goodness when you feel like it. Plus, the SR Hong Kong has Feng Shui as something that is actually important, which means you can throw in some silly runs ("Break in and rearrange the furniture!") when you're feeling impish.

Remove ads