• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me an adventure

needle75

First Post
Hi
My group has played a few Wotc 4e adventures and they are only so-so. Frankly i did better myself and I'm an idiot.

Can anyone recommend me a good adventure, official or 3rd party?

Level unimportant.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Without trying to sound too self-serving, there's always the free first adventures in each of the War of the Burning Sky and ZEITGEIST adventure paths.

Yeah, the HPE module series are kinda mediocre.

However, WotC has done some better adventures. The ones that come with the Essentials DMK and MV are well-regarded. Madness at Gardmore Abbey kicks it. There are also definitely some DDI adventures from Dungeon that are pretty good. You can subscribe for a month for $9.99 and grab as many as you want, but basically the earlier ones tend to be less good than the later ones. The real problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff, as there's no way for anyone to rate them, sadly.

There are some good 3PP modules if you can get your hands on them. OpenDesign did Courts of the Shadow Fey, which is a very nice paragon module. Depending on your tastes you might also appreciate the fourthcore stuff. It is rather brutally lethal, but mostly pretty well-written. I'm sure there's other stuff, frankly I mostly write my own adventures so I haven't really looked super hard.

Ferghis

First Post
I haven't played them, but before starting a long-term published-adventure campaign a short while ago, the DM and I discussed what was well reviewed and what wasn't.

War of the Burning Sky was very well reviewed, and takes you from 1 to 30. Earlier adventures need updating to MM3 numbers, but that's not much work, and there's tons of stuff on the web that's already been worked on.
Gardmore Abby gets rave reviews, but has only a limited level range.
Zeitgeist is very inspiring (especially if you're not afraid of mixing a little technology into it), but it's not finished yet. Nonetheless, it'll probably publish through to 30th.
King of the Trallhaunt Warrens (WotC) is well reviewed, but it's only a short series.
The Chaos Scar series (WotC) is well reviewed, although in need of some corrections (a few say some maps need fixing). No idea of level range.

Octangula

First Post
The Chaos Scar series (WotC) is well reviewed, although in need of some corrections (a few say some maps need fixing). No idea of level range.
Chaos Scar is Heroic tier. The adventure they released as the conclusion to it is level 10.

Is there any reason why you're reluctant to write your own adventures? Yes, it would be an added time constraint, but you'd also be able to run something that more closely caters for your group.

the Jester

Legend
I like Demon Queen's Enclave a lot but am otherwise largely unenthusiastic about WotC's HPE offerings. (King of the Trollhaunt Warrens is the other one I particularly like.)

The 4e Tomb of Horrors is pretty awesome too, or at least most of it is.

Will Doyle

Explorer
I actually have a lot of love for Thunderspire Labyrinth, just cause of the classic setting (the Seven-Pillared Hall is full of potential). The storyline as presented needed a lot of modification to work for my group though - so it's a good one if you like customisation, I'd say.

I've not actually played them, but Madness at Gardmore Abbey and Reavers of Harkenwold both read very well. They're possibly amongst the most freeform of the official adventures.

Aoirorentsu

Explorer
I started a thread on the Wizards community site to get some good ideas for adventures, which includes my list of favorite Dungeon adventures.

4e Adventures: Greatest Hits!

Also check out the Feywild adventure that was a couple seasons back for Encounters - it's very well-designed.

On a sidebar, I think that most of the complaints against 4e are really complaints about how many WotC-published 4e adventures were designed. The good 4e adventures are REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Good luck!

Remove ads