Recommend me something!

almeidafreak

Explorer
Ok, so I'll soon go to NY and I need recommendations on what to buy RPG-wise, of course).

Here in Brazil, the few RPGs we actually get are too expensive, so I'm willing to buy a good amount of books in the US.

Also, I want to steer away from Pathfinder and D&D, I already got most of it (including 5e). Here's what I already have (I'll ignore PF and D&D Stuff, and post a photo of 'em all):

-13th Age with Midgard Bestiary
-Shadowrun 5th Edition
-Savage Worlds
-WFRP 2nd Edition (With Bestiary)
-WoD
-Trail of Chtulhu
-Cyberpunk 2020.

I'm looking for anything, any theme, any setting. I was looking at Shadows of Esteren, the setting seemed pretty cool. Also Numenera, but I don't really know what to do with it. I really like Steampunk stuff and I own none yet. Maybe Mistborn RPG, I'm reading the books and it's really cool!

So, any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_20141205_172110.jpg
    IMG_20141205_172110.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 118

Evenglare

Adventurer
I gotta push The Strange. It's enamoured me for the past few months. It's so good and quite literally everything you could want for adventuring.

edemaitre

Explorer
For generic systems, I like FATE Core, Savage Worlds (which I see you have), and GURPS 4e Lite. Each of these has supplements.

While you have a decent D&D library, you could always expand it with retro-clones, books on non-Western settings, and monster/environment books. A lot of good D20/OGL stuff can now be found relatively cheaply.

For steampunk, I like Castle Falkenstein and Etherscope. For superheroes, I recommend Mutants & Masterminds 3e or Icons Assembled Edition.

For science fiction, try Eclipse Phase or Stars Without Number. If you like horror with your SF, try Ashen Stars. Enjoy your trip to New York!

Steampunk:

-Castle Falkenstein: It's sort of like a XIX century version of Shadowrun, but with so much charm and panache you won't be able to put it down. The game uses a card-based system (as in actual playing cards) instead of dice, and it is supposed to have been written by Mad King Ludwig II of Bavaria along with the author (the introductory story is great). Be mindful there's a GURPS version too, but I have no idea how closely it mimics the original.

-Space 1889: Steam-powered spaceships and european colonialism across the Solar System. Has a quaint system (the RPG sprang out of a miniature game by the same name and author), but it's very easy to play, and the setting is just great. Zeppelin combat against a German count above the steaming jungles of Venus? Of course. Spice-trading with the bat-people of Mars? Certainly, sir.

Non-Steampunk:

-7th Sea: In my opinion, the best cape & sword RPG out there. It's set in what's essentially XVII century Europe with the names and themes scrambled (ie, Spanish appears as Castille, a mix between Golden Century Spain and Mexico; the Dutch and Vikings are mixed together in Vendel-Vestenmannavnjar, with merchants and rune magic, etc), along with magic and somewhat Lovecraftian ancient story. The system is very cinematic, using a roll & keep mechanic (roll 5d10, keep the highest 3, success if the total equals or passes target difficulty) and emphatizing dramatic actions and larger-than-life heroism. Swordfights in burning barns all the time, is what I'm saying. Great for pirate roleplaying.

-Ars Magica 5e: A game in which you play very powerful wizards during the High Middle Ages, in Mythic Europe (basically standard Europe but in which magic actually works). The main draw of the game is the mostly free-form magic system, allowing you to design or even improvise spells, using a semantic system (Arts + Form, or "What you do" + "What you do it to". So Creo Aquam lets you create liquids, while Muto Corpus lets you alter someone's body). Has interesting mechanics for playing multiple characters (so you can explore the lives of Knights, which are non-magical servants and bodyguards to the wizards, and Grogs, really non-magical mud-farmers through and through), as well as a "troupe system" in which the role of Storyteller changes between players.

Hope this helps! And have a nice trip.

Ok, so I'll soon go to NY and I need recommendations on what to buy RPG-wise, of course).

Here in Brazil, the few RPGs we actually get are too expensive, so I'm willing to buy a good amount of books in the US.

Also, I want to steer away from Pathfinder and D&D, I already got most of it (including 5e). Here's what I already have (I'll ignore PF and D&D Stuff, and post a photo of 'em all):

-13th Age with Midgard Bestiary
-Shadowrun 5th Edition
-Savage Worlds
-WFRP 2nd Edition (With Bestiary)
-WoD
-Trail of Chtulhu
-Cyberpunk 2020.

I'm looking for anything, any theme, any setting. I was looking at Shadows of Esteren, the setting seemed pretty cool. Also Numenera, but I don't really know what to do with it. I really like Steampunk stuff and I own none yet. Maybe Mistborn RPG, I'm reading the books and it's really cool!

So, any tips?

You've got quite a lot of large book trad RPGs so I'm going to recommend some weird Indy stuff.

Dread - possibly the best horror RPG ever. Amazing for one shots.
Monsterhearts - teen horror made into an RPG. Incredibly immersive and evocative, but pick the right group to play it with
Fiasco - making a Cohen Brothers movie in the time it would take to watch one.
Dogs in the Vineyard - tense, evocative one-upsmanship
Apocalypse World - Vincent Baker's writing isn't for everyone, but it's a spectacular and varied game.
Fate Core - an excellent generic game that can handle almost any pulp action setting.

Most of these you're either going to love or hate. And I don't know which. But they should all be interesting and very different to what you're used to.

Remove ads