Recommend some Nintendo DS games!

Mallus

Legend
I just traded my old, dust-accumulating PS2 (and some associated paraphernalia) in for a bright, shiny, red DS Lite. I'm mainly interested in RPG's and strategy games, but I'm not opposed to a good twitch game every now and again.

Thanks in advance.

Rackhir

Explorer
I just traded my old, dust-accumulating PS2 (and some associated paraphernalia) in for a bright, shiny, red DS Lite. I'm mainly interested in RPG's and strategy games, but I'm not opposed to a good twitch game every now and again.

Thanks in advance.

There's remakes of several of the early (pre Final Fantasy VII) games, including VI and IV IIRC. Final Fantasy Tactics got some good games released for the DS (some original, some remakes).

There's also a remake of one of the early Front Mission games (I can loan you that one if you want). It's a mixed TBS/RPG.

There were two of the Super Robot Wars Original Generations games released. They're supposed to be pretty good TBS.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Two RPGs I enjoyed on my DS were Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (the sequel to which comes out next month) and Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.

If you're not familiar with the Harvest Moon series, it's basically a farming sim. Rune Factory adds an exploration/level advancement mechanic on top of that. So, while you start off running your farm, you eventually start exploring nearby caves and fighting the monsters within to learn of a plot by a neighboring nation to invade the nation in which you live. In addition to farming, you can learn to cook, smithing (so you can make your own weapson and such), and woo the bachlorettes in town (eventually marrying one, if you choose). You can also collect runes (which replenish your health & stamina) from fully planted plots of land (hence the name "Rune Factory," 'cause you can plant stuff IN the caves to help your explorations).

Puzzle Quest is a more traditional fantasy RPG except the combat mechanic is a Bejeweled-like minigame. It has a fairly standard story, but is pretty entertaining and the combat is surprisingly addictive, though I hear it's a bit too easy with certain character combinations (I played through as a Wizard, so I didn't have that problem).

My favorite DS games so far are the throw backs to old-school platformers. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and New Super Mario Bros are two of the best new games I've played in years. I've played through both multiple times. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is also good, but not DoS good. I am currently slogging my way through MegaMan ZX Advent, which seems promising.

You should definetally get Tetris DS, because every portable Nintendo system needs to have a Tetris game. In you're into the genre's: Metroid Prime Pinball is one of the best computer pinball sims I've ever played; Mario Kart DS is a great example of cart-style racing; Nanostray 1 and 2 are pretty good Raiden style shooters.

Merkuri

Explorer
Ooh, I just got a DS, too. I think a lot of these games are going on my Christmas list. :)

Personally, I'm a Pokemon fan. The only DS game I have right now is Pokemon Pearl, which I'm liking a lot. I believe it falls under the category of RPG. Don't be turned off by it's kiddy reputation. It's actually very addictive and there's a lot of strategy involved.

Plus if you have any sort of collecting instinct it's a way to satisfy that without spending money on actual physical items. This game scratches the same itch that Magic: The Gathering did for me back when I played, except it costs much less in the long run ($2 a week for MtG booster packs versus one-time cost of $25 for the Pokemon game).

D.Shaffer

First Post
Disgaea DS. One of the best tactical RPG's ever created, now in tiny, portable, DS form. FFTA2 was mentioned.

If you want the turn based without the RPG...Civ Revolutions, Age of Kings, and the perenial favorite, Advanced Wars all beckon. :D

Arnwyn

First Post
I haven't the foggiest what you like, but here's what I own:

- Children of Mana (if you like the Mana series of action-RPGs)
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
- Final Fantasy III (finally, the only Final Fantasy that never previously showed up in North America)
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (sequel to the PS2's FFXII, but it's kind of an RTS)
- Front Mission (the original Front Mission, never before seen in North America)
- Heroes of Mana (another Mana game, this time an RTS)
- Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (sequel to the GCN's Zelda: Wind Waker)
- Magical Starsign (somewhat traditional RPG)
- Mario Kart DS (the absolute best Mario Kart of them all. OF. THEM. ALL.)
- New Super Mario Bros. (if you're a SMB fan)
- Super Princess Peach (again, if you're a SMB fan)
- Yoshi's Island DS (sequel to the SNES's Yoshi's Island, the best platformer of all time AFAIC)

Remove ads