Recommend some Nintendo DS games!

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Anwyn listed some of the best titles for DS RPG play so I won't repeat.

I would add that a number of the Kirby games are very good and don't forget some of the offerings from the Game Boy Advance error that you can play on the DS.

One really interesting offering coming out in mid-November is Mushroom Men. It is getting good reviews. They will also have a Wii version that is a totally different story and looks to be loads of fun.

Mallus

Legend
Thanks for the advice, folks. I think I'll pick up Mario Kart (Zelda, FF III, and FF IV are being loaned to me), and I'll definitely keep an eye out for Chrono Trigger.

Rackhir: sure, I'll take a mecha game. Thanks.

Also, just saw the trailer for the Level 5/Studio Ghibli RPG... wow.

erf_beto

First Post
Well, people already mentioned the obvious, but I feel there's a game very worth mentioning missing: The World Ends With You.

This game didn't catch my attention at first and I actually didn't want to play it because of the high immersion into the japanese modern culture and lifestyle (don't get me wrong, I love anime but I just didn't want to deal with it at the time).

Boy was I wrong? This game delivers the best your DS can handle: it's a very inovative rpg with an incredible story; you use every DS feature, stylus, mic, etc, without feeling the designers were just pushing it - let's be honest, there are games where you use these features without actually needing it (like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow). And the music is to die for.

If you want something different, try The World Ends With You.

Now, if you want something completely old school, I recommend Etrian Odissey. Rembember those old pc games where you created your own party of adventures, dive into a first person view dungeon to fight monsters, terribly difficult monsters, one after the other? Like, you die all the time and can't seem to give up on the game? This is Etrian Odissey, a very good game (with an even better sequel), where you even have to map the dungeon in a grid using the stylus. Very fun, though It might bore you if don't like hard games.

Other good games:

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
. Just great. If you played through Aria of Sorrow on the GBA, then I also recommend Dawn of Sorrow, wich is a sequel. Otherwise, stick with PoR, unless you're a Vania junkie like myself (and later this month, Order of Eclesia is coming out - the hype is very strong :D)
Puzzle Quest. This is a gem (pun intended), a mix of Bejeweled and RPG, where you're rewarded for being addicted.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. Though I liked the more serious storyline from the PSOne, this game is a lot of fun too.
Luminous Arc. Even simpler than FFTA2 (much less time fiddling with character optimization), but very a good tactical rpg. The story starts quite simple, but unfolds in a rewarding way. Some voice acting are annoying but the humor tone makes it okay. Also, it features the best angel I have ever EVAR seen :p (comical, that is).
Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen. Remake of an old style game, very good because the original game was good. Not many new features added, so you'll feel like playing SNES or something.
Final Fantasy IV. Also a remake, but unlike Dragon Quest, completely remade with 3d characters (wich I hated, but cant really complain) and voice acting. I played it on the GBA, and it was a very good old style rpg. If you havent played, dont miss it (it's one of the most classic Final Fantasy games, along with VI, whose remake is also comming soon)
New Super Mario Bros. It's Mario. What's not to like?

Good luck!

Arnwyn

First Post
Well, people already mentioned the obvious, but I feel there's a game very worth mentioning missing: The World Ends With You.

This game didn't catch my attention at first and I actually didn't want to play it because of the high immersion into the japanese modern culture and lifestyle (don't get me wrong, I love anime but I just didn't want to deal with it at the time).

Boy was I wrong
That's good to hear - as your reasons are exactly why I'm staying far, far away.

But after what you just said, maybe I might pick it up if I see it used...

Mallus

Legend
If you want something different, try The World Ends With You.
That's the RPG with the street-art look, a la Jet Set Radio, isn't it? Glad to hear it's a good game... it looks amazing. I think I'll pick that up after I play thorugh my friends copy of FF IV (which I'm picking up at a bar after work).

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Zelda of course, and Final Fantasy IV is t3h awesome. Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros are all good games.

What I'm shocked no one has mentioned is Professor Layton.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Any more good RPG suggestions? It is a pretty impressive list, already.

Suikoden Tierkreis is coming out for the DS in Japan in December. Once it has a U.S. release date, I'll be buying a DS and will need some other games for it.

erf_beto

First Post
Any more good RPG suggestions? It is a pretty impressive list, already.
It's in portuguese (Brazil), but there's pictures:
Futuros Rpgs do DS [Até o momento + de 70] - NDS Brasil Fórum
It's an "upcoming DS RPG titles" thread on a brazilian forum (I just lurk there sometimes). It's a bit old, so some/most of them are already out, but it might prove usefull (even with no ratings and no previous titles).

thatdarncat: Professor Layton!!! That's the one I forgot! I knew something was missing when I hit Reply! B-)

Bront

The man with the probe
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is a great game. It's a pretty standard Zelda game, but the graphics are great, and it has a multiplayer competition mode.

Final Fantasy XII: Revnant Wings is a good RTS/RPG game.

For somethign casual, Metroid Prime Pinball is fun and amusing.

Mario Kart DS is a great game.

I didn't care for Puzzlequest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases