• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend some Techno Music

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
Beats and Styles - Fire
Chemical Brothers - Galvanize, - Chemical Beats (not Block Rocking Beats)
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
Fluke - Atom Bomb
Giant Robot - Helsinki Rock City
Ladytron - Evil
Mirwais - Disco Science
Prodigy - Firestarter, - Girls, - Voodoo People
Juno Reactor - Mona Lisa Overdrive
Wildchild - Renegade Master
Antiloop - Autoload

And no, I don't have any idea as to how the categories of techno are defined (and the wiki links didn't really help).

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
Does Moby count, or is it only Eminem that considers him techno? ;)

If Moby does count, then I recommend Play, 18 and Hotel -- all are excellent (Hotel in particular).

I also quite enjoy Orb and Fluke.

The idea of getting mixes / compilation CDs is a good one. It's how I got started. Most of what I have that is trance/techno is compilations.

Also, some of the movie soundtracks are techno/trance. Blade was mentioned and the Mortal Combat series with Juno Reactor was mentioned.

Someone I like though it may not be true techno nor trance is Oakenfeld.

He did movie music for james Bond and Matrix that got me hooked. However, much of his stuff is remixes of existing music. I like his stuff a great deal.

Samothdm

First Post
I'm not big on categorization because most music I listen to these days crosses multiple genres.

Anyway, I listen to a lot of what I guess what be considered "electronic" music.

Some of my faves:

* Chemical Brothers
* Crystal Method
* Groove Armada
* Thievery Corporation

I also like the "OM Lounge" series (it's a compilation). You can also go to KCRW online and listen live during "Metropolis" and "Nocturna". They play a lot of electronic music and if you're listening online you can see what song is playing so you can buy the album.

merztrumpet

First Post
As trancejeremy said, techno actually refers to specific genre. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but for the sake of recommendation - definately check out the Godfathers of Techno being Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, Derrick May. Also, one of my favorites, Underground Resistance (label and artist). Others to inspect - Jeff Mills, Richie Hawtin, Mad Mike, The Martian, (early) Carl Craig, Kenny Larkin, Ken Ishii , (early) Laurent Garnier, and Drexciya (!!!).

Personally, I enjoy more experimental material, for example the pretentious genre IDM plus the genres as a result of and around. Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Luke Vibert, Autechre, Venetian Snares, µ-Ziq, Boards of Canada, Bogdan Raczynski, Bit_Meddler, shitmat, Two Lone Swordsmen, Jamie Lidell.

Older electronic, IDM, ambient techno - The Future Sound of London, The Orb, LFO, B12, The Black Dog, The Sabres of Paradise, 808 State, Nightmares on Wax, Beaumont Hannant.

Really, I could do this for awhile. Sometimes I get carried away.

gamecat

Explorer
Well, electronica comes in all manners of genres.

Trance is prettymuch the gateway to electronica - its the most comericially friendly format, its danceable, and very inspiring to listen to, being centered around a musical build-up. Good trance artists include:

- Paul Oakenfold
- Paul Van Dyk
- Oceanlab
- Ferry Corsten

House is also very popular. House has its roots in disco, with a very regular beat, and lacks the progressive nature of trance. My house recommendations include:

- Jark Prongo
- Daft Punk
- DJ Havok www.djhavok.com

Drum 'n Bass / Jungle is dark sounding music, with heavy syncopation of beats and chest thumping bass. I like it, because the frenetic, evil sound of it makes me wish to do 90 mph into oncoming traffic.

- Dieselboy
- Baze Djunkiii

Techno, as it were, is a tribal sounding music, very repetitive. I personally enjoy minimal techno (or detroit techno) because anything that sounds like it was hammered out on a gameboy has to be good.

- DJ Robert Hood
- James Bucknell
- Cheffe
- Malsun

Hardcore takes the hard, regular beat of techno, and drives it home with a sledgehammer. Hardcore tends to have a violent, anti-social edge to it. Good Hardcore artists include:

- Endymion
- DJ Promo
- Illmatic
- Angerfist
- Second Base

Happycore (Happy Hardcore) is a lighter form of hardcore, with maniacally upbeat samples over a fast beatloop and bassline. I personally recommend:

- Breeze & Styles
- DJ Joshuah www.joshuahardcore.com
- Molly Mush www.hardcoreforthepeople.com
- DJ En3rgy

jeez. thats it for the mainstream electronica. I can go on like professer daravon.

Joker

First Post
Mercule said:
Personal favorite: Photek -- Ni Ten Ichi Ryu.

If you've seen the original Blade, it's what Frost is listening to in the library.

Edit: According to the wiki article linked above, though, it's almost certainly not techno. I can't imagine dancing to it -- it'd be like a seizure.

You can't believe how effing long I've been looking for that. I love you. Hug?

On topic though: What kind of "techno" are you looking for? Hardcore, Trance, Techno, Tentative, House, Jungle etc.?

Remove ads