Recommendations for TTRPGs with a focus on strategic combat?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Let's say I was looking for an RPG that had a big focus on strategic combat. I imagine there would be a lot of options for players to consider, perhaps in character creation, but more so in combat itself. It would be a system that rewards tactical, creative approaches to combat over just charging in or repetitive turns.

What would you recommend?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Fantasy - D&D 4e
Post-Apocalyptic - D&D Gamma World

I mean, honestly - I find the 4e engine to be the best implementation of a tactical battle game for fantasy roleplaying, so I haven't looked much further than that.

I've heard some good things about Strike! in this regard, but I haven't actually played or run it myself.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Assuming you mean tactical rather than strategic, D&D 4E is very strong in that department.
This.

Although it does rely on the DM to make dynamic battlefields with interesting terrain to some extent, just the nature of the various roles (for both PCs and monsters) means that any encounter with a mixed group of monsters (and a group of kobolds can easily be three different types) will inherently have more tactical depth and movement than is the default in any other edition.

Remove ads