• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommendations needed for a new system for an Old DM

maddman75

First Post
Exalted. Its an epic fantasy game. There's some anime inspiration (and artwork) but I see more classic myths and legends in it myself. There's an awful lot of Beowulf, Achilles, and Odysseus in here. In the default game the PCs are Solar Exalted, chosen champions of the Unconquered Sun, greatest of the gods. They were the kings and lawgivers of old, able to defeat armies single handedly and bring peace to warring nations with a word. But they were betrayed and their divine essences trapped for ages. The betrayers took over Creation and taught the common folk that they were demons, monsters, and tyrants. But now their Empress has vanished, Deathlords with armies of undead have emerged from the underworld, and the Fair Folk (insane Cthulhu elves) encroach from beyond reality. And the Solar Exalted are returning. These are the PCs in this game, lost heroes of a forgotten age, and the only ones who can save all of Creation.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten Great game, same system as Witchcraft, which I see you've played. I like All Flesh because its so direct - the PCs are a bunch of strangers caught when the dead rise and begin feasting on the flesh of the living. Good for a short term game, and the suppliments take it to other genres (Western zombies, sci-fi zombies, ninja zombies, whatever) or a more long-term game.

Modoc

First Post
In the way of pulp based fiction I'm liking: Spirit of the Century (I like the narrative style)

In the way of fantasy I'm liking: Castles & Crusades (i like th OD&D feel)

In the way of genre-spanning I'm liking: Savage Worlds (I can't access thier main site from work, more to follow)

I guess what I'm really wanting to do is find a game or a variety of games for different situations. My players of my current group are all D&D 3.5 players. The only one that I can think of that my try something different would be my 17 year old son. Although I'm not sure about him. Thats why PBP options are very important. Like many of you I do not want to buy books, print or PDF, to find out the system sucks (I know this is personal interuptation) or to find out I have no players or venue through which to play the game.

Eltharon

Explorer
I'd recommend GURPS. It can play all the things you like to play, in addition to all the things you don't. And despite what the critics will shout, it's not any more complicated then DnD. Sure, there are some optional rules that increase complexity (like hit location, bleeding, etc), but they're optional.
You can also try it for free. Download GURPS Lite (google it) and it'll give you a feel for the rules.

Dan Bell

First Post
Modoc,
I think you might like the gritty detailed realism of Harn: http://www.lythia.com/
(HarnWorld, the setting, is rules independent. Harnmaster, the rules need not be used.)
Harn is known as the 'rolls-royce' of RPGs. It's members are older than the average gamer.

Try the free downloads at lythia.com and see if you take to them.

Enjoy!

Treebore

First Post
Legends of the 5 Rings D10 system.

HARP

EPICrpg

Mutants and Masterminds

Shadowrun 4E

My favorite Sci-fi is still Traveller.

If you are indeed looking for alternative fantasy Savage Worlds, Basic Fantasy, and Castles and Crusades are definitely solid recommendations. C&C won the "battle" for me. Initially because it still allowed me to easily use anything from my OD&D, 1E, 2E, and 3E books, then because I realized that the SIEGE engine is simple genius.

grodog

Hero
Ars Magica would give you a different sense of epic fantasy, and since you played Pendragon, you won't be averse to campaigns that span decades. You can also play up some dark side elements within ArM through a variety of methods.

CoC is a great horror game, and I heartily recommend it; it's simple, easy to learn and use, and quick.

Warhammer FRPG may also be a good match: you have that Old World fantasy feel with dark, encroaching horror.

You could always go out on a limb, and start to mix Kult with Mage with Unknown Armies or something equally mind-bending like that, too, but I'd start with CoC first :D

rgard

Adventurer
I'd go with Traveller T20 or D20 Modern with the D20 Future added in. Less of a leap from 3.5 for your players.

And you'll have fun.

There is a boatload of fan produced Traveller stuff you could use with T20 or D20 Modern.

Thanks,
Rich

maddman75

First Post
Modoc said:
Like many of you I do not want to buy books, print or PDF, to find out the system sucks (I know this is personal interuptation) or to find out I have no players or venue through which to play the game.

One option is to look for 'starter sets' that have the basic rules, pregened characters, and a sample adventure that can give you an idea of the game before you buy it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads