Recommended 1E house rule compliations?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
My wife has expressed an interest in trying an older edition than 3E, and I think I'll soon start a 1E campaign. (BECMI Rules Compendium was also considered, but I think I'll go 1E.) I plan to poke around Dragonsfoot for this as well, but does anyone have a recommendation for any 1E house rule compilations others have done? I want to look at what others have done before I delve back into the murky past to remember what I did in the '80s to tweak the game.

Since she wants to see what the older edition is like, I don't plan to make too many changes, since that would kind of miss the point. However, I don't plan to consult the weapon speed tables every combat, either!

I'm considering T1/I3-5/G1-3 as the adventure path. I feel like I'm 15 years old again, rereading those old mods... ah, youth. :)

Tewligan

First Post
You probably already found them, but here are a couple of relevant DF threads:
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28042&highlight=house+rules+compilation

and

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9313&highlight=house+rules+compilation

A few house rules I'm using in my campaign are:
1) M-U's get bonus spells for high INT, using the cleric's chart for high WIS.
2) Max HP at first level. Afterwards, players can either take half the max roll when they gain a level, or take their chance with the dice.
3) Thieves use the more flexible thieving skills allocation from 2e.
4) No Unearthed Arcana classes or races. However, demihumans from the PHB do use the more relaxed permitted classes/level charts from UA.
5) Unconscious at 0 hp, dead at -10.
6) Clerics can swap memorized spells for the Cure spell of the same level.

I know I have more, but that's all I'm remembering at the moment. Some of these were implemented because I started out with a smallish group, but which seems to be swelling with each session. Enjoy the game - 1e is my D&D of choice again, and I'm loving it!

SavageRobby

First Post
You'll want to address XP, such as do you translate GP to XP directly. You'll also want to address training rules - do you use them as-is, or do you mod them? (There are good arguments for both.)

You might want to take a look at this document about the initiative & combat system. Its a bit daunting, but it shows the combat system (especially initiative) fully dissected, with references. It will help you decide what parts to streamline. :) Here is the link: http://members.cox.net/dmprata/ADDICT.pdf

Celebrim

Legend
I'll second Tewligan's suggestions for improving the 1st edition experience.

My personal suggestions would add to that list:

1) Go ahead and do without weapon specialization. I used it in 1st edition like probably everyone else, but the longer I think about it the more I think it hurts the game.
2) Thieves to hit progression should be bumped up so as to reduce the divergence at higher levels (probably up to the cleric level of +2/3, rather than +2/4). I wouldn't be adverse to clerics and thieves getting multiple attacks per round at a slower rate than fighters either, as there is little reason to play a thief past level 9 as is.

There are alot of other little tweaks, but I don't want it to feel like I'm saying 'just play 3e'.

Though alot of 3E's changes made perfect sense if you'd been playing 1st edition for a long time.

Some other tips...

Really, that 'to hit vs. AC modifer' thing... it's pretty cool. It makes swords (good against poor AC's) feel very different than maces and picks (good against good ACs). The table could use some tweaking and it requires you to do some initial overhead (figure out everyone's modified to hit table ahead of time), but it really adds interest to the game IME. It's one of the areas I definately miss from the old days, but given all of 3rd's additional complexity with changing modifiers I've just not managed to bring it back in.

Last edited:

Not really a house-rule suggestion, but OSRIC's description of combat is well-done, in my opinion. You might read through that section of the OSRIC rules, in addition to the DMG and PH descriptions.

mmadsen

First Post
Eridanis said:
BECMI Rules Compendium was also considered, but I think I'll go 1E.
What's your goal? It doesn't sound like it's nostalgia, really, since your wife never played the older edition. If your goal is old-school feel -- not for its own nostalgic sake, but as a contrast to 3.5E -- I'd recommend going light, with something like 1E the way most of us played it, which involved very few rules most of the time, more like Basic. (In fact, the least enjoyable bits were probably the parts where we had to use the rules, except that dice and combat are always fun.)

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
Many good suggestions in here so far, Eridanis. What kind of game are you planning to run?---that'll help with more-tailored suggestions, I'm sure.

In general, I've found that the more I've tinkered with combat rules, the less happy I've been with the results. The OSRIC rules and DMPrata's ADDICT doc are really good summaries of how to play 1e combat without the parts most folks ignored (weapons vs. AC, weapon speed, etc.). FWIW, at low-levels, weapons vs. AC actually are pretty helpful (i.e., increase the chances of PC survival to mid-levels), and if you use the Combat Computer from Dragon 74 they're very easy to integrate into the game (I've use them while DMing since Dragon 74!).

I've also used several of Tewiligan's rules in the past, but have stopped using some since BITD:

1) M-U's get bonus spells for high INT, using the cleric's chart for high WIS. - I used to do this, but stopped: MUs are far too powerful if they get bonus spells; I also use the INT rules for spell acquisition and min/max # of spells per level known, as well as the BTB spell acquisition process (you can a spell of level X in your spellbook when you gain a level and your number of castable spells per day goes up in that level)

2) Max HP at first level. - I've always done this. Afterwards, players can either take half the max roll when they gain a level, or take their chance with the dice. - I have players roll all levels after first, and what they roll is what they get. PCs also record the HP die roll, for when they're energy drained.

3) Thieves use the more flexible thieving skills allocation from 2e. - I haven't seen/used this, can't comment :D

4) No Unearthed Arcana classes or races. However, demihumans from the PHB do use the more relaxed permitted classes/level charts from UA. - From UA, I allow barbarians (but based on the Dragon 63 original moreso than UA) and cavaliers (though not elven), as well as the heirophant druids, and most new spells/magic items; I no longer allow PC drow/duergar/svirfneblin races in campaigns, but have in the past in evil and/or underdark campaigns. I have my own charts for racial level limits and multi-class options, but the UA ones are fine-ish. I also use the UA errata published in Dragon 103.

5) Unconscious at 0 hp, dead at -10. - Yep.

6) Clerics can swap memorized spells for the Cure spell of the same level. - I make clerics memorize all spells, including healing spells. With High WIS bonus spells, this hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm back and forth on weapon specialization: if you allow only single-classed fighters to have it, I don't find it to be that unbalancing; if you allow multi-class fighters to have it, then it gets way too powerful. Also, weapon specialization is only really relevant if you use weapon proficiency, and non-proficiency "to hit" penalties; if you don't, then I definitely wouldn't allow specialization.

I'll throw in my $0.02 on some of these:
grodog said:
1) M-U's get bonus spells for high INT, using the cleric's chart for high WIS.
I agree with grodog on this; I wouldn't give MUs bonus spells. A MU is powerful enough without them. You might consider my spell special effects house rule, instead. If you want to give low-level MUs the possibility of more power, while still keeping a tight DM reign on it, you might consider the house rule I use for scroll creation in my OD&D game (note that this one is a pretty big change from BTB -- it has its roots in the Holmes rules).

2) Max HP at first level.
In AD&D, I always do this. If you want to try something different with hit dice, check out the addendum in my hit dice musing. It's the rule I use in my OD&D game. Basically, when you gain a level, you roll ALL your hit dice (your total can't go lower). If you lose a level, you roll ALL your hit dice for your new level (your total can't go up). Note that there's no need to record all your rolls, with this method.

3) Thieves use the more flexible thieving skills allocation from 2e.
I wouldn't bother. One of the nice things about older editions of D&D, in my opinion, is that making a new character (or leveling up) is fast and easy. Getting into point allocations for lists of skills is a bother, to me.

4) No Unearthed Arcana classes or races. However, demihumans from the PHB do use the more relaxed permitted classes/level charts from UA.
I'd just exclude UA, entirely. Maybe allow some of the new spells, but not the class and race stuff. I wouldn't use weapon specialization, either.

5) Unconscious at 0 hp, dead at -10.
Yeah; that's by-the-book, innit?

6) Clerics can swap memorized spells for the Cure spell of the same level. - I make clerics memorize all spells, including healing spells. With High WIS bonus spells, this hasn't been an issue for me.
I agree with grodog, because of the bonus spells.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I largely agree with Grodog here, except as noted below:
grodog said:
1) M-U's get bonus spells for high INT, using the cleric's chart for high WIS. - I used to do this, but stopped: MUs are far too powerful if they get bonus spells; I also use the INT rules for spell acquisition and min/max # of spells per level known, as well as the BTB spell acquisition process (you can a spell of level X in your spellbook when you gain a level and your number of castable spells per day goes up in that level)
Depends how high of level you think the party will get. Bonus spells make MU's a bit more useful at low level, but get out of hand later on. See below...
I make Clerics wild-card on everything...if their god'll give it to 'em and they have the juice (i.e. slots) left, they can cast it. Makes them more distinct from arcane types.
I'm back and forth on weapon specialization: if you allow only single-classed fighters to have it, I don't find it to be that unbalancing; if you allow multi-class fighters to have it, then it gets way too powerful. Also, weapon specialization is only really relevant if you use weapon proficiency, and non-proficiency "to hit" penalties; if you don't, then I definitely wouldn't allow specialization.
Agreed. Exceptional strength also should be for single-class only. But absolutely keep proficiencies, and spec.; and weapon-of-choice for Cavaliers.

A few more notes and thoughts:

* - "Comeliness" from UA: don't bother. It's a waste of time.

* - Watch out for some of the spells in UA.

* - If you scrap the ExP-for-g.p. idea (and I recommend you do) you'll have to revise your level advancement charts, otherwise the characters will never bump. :) That said, slower advancement can be fun too...but if you go this route, give the MU's the bonus spells!

* - I let Rangers and Druids be any alignment, mostly because there's no logical reason not to. (and evil Druids make *excellent* opponents!)

And one last note: if you're going to be nasty enough to start her in Hommlet (T1) then get her to roll up about 8 characters, 'cause she's gonna need 'em! :) (says he, who as a player went into that adventure with a party of 4th-levels and lost 4 of 6 characters...)

Lanefan

Lanefan said:
I* - If you scrap the ExP-for-g.p. idea (and I recommend you do) you'll have to revise your level advancement charts, otherwise the characters will never bump.
Sounds like a good reason to use XP for GP -- no modification of the charts necessary. It's a story award, anyway...the story is "heroes seek wealth!" ;)

Remove ads