Recording Gaming Sessions

SnakeNuts

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm starting a new campaign with a new group soon and was thinking about recording the sessions, both for record-keeping and also maybe to turn into something nicer later on. (The latter isn't a necessity, but would be nice)

I'm running the game at work, so I won't have access to larger hardware (like my PC) or recording equipment (not that I have any), so I'm thinking about using either my iPhone or iPad to record the sessions. I haven't tried anything yet and will start doing some experiments soon, but I was also wondering if the collected wisdom of this forum had some advice on this topic? Have you tried this and succeeded and/or failed? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Alex.

okumarts

First Post
I've been taking lots of photos with my iPhone and then putting them together in a comic format to remember what the heck happened on game night.
It's been a lot of fun just doing that!
Good luck with the game!
Page_1.jpgPage_2.jpgPage_3.jpgPage_4.jpg

SnakeNuts

Explorer
That looks awesome! Sadly it also highlights a big gap in my original post, in that I wanted to record the AUDIO of the session on my phone/pad. It's my bad though, I just re-read my post and it can be read in any way. 'Recording' is fairly ambiguous here.

Silly me.

Razjah

Explorer
How much out of character dialogue happens? If you ever watch some people stream an RPG session on twitch.... it gets boring fast. At least for me. For record keeping it would be awesome, but long and boring.

I recommend you get a small handheld camera and try to prop it up somewhere it can see almost everyone (possible shifting seats to be on one side rather than around the whole table GM at an end or camera over the GM's shoulder). Then use a regular camera or phone/ipad/whatever to take still shots for extra record keeping/cropping/editing. A decently cheap SD card can hold like 500 minutes of film. Copy it every week to keep the card empty and it should work pretty well.

Remove ads