D&D 5E Recreating a character in D&D 5e

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, you made it work in BX. So just do the same thing here in 5e.

5e just adds a few more bells & whistles. But nothing that'll stop you from doing what you did.

Well, you made it work in BX. So just do the same thing here in 5e.

5e just adds a few more bells & whistles. But nothing that'll stop you from doing what you did.
Mostly, the problem is that we want the helmet to have something to do, but not overly magical. In BX, it was a magic-user, which mean casting only a handful of spells per game. In D&D 5e, it's be like having lazer eyes, which I'm not keen on.

ccs

41st lv DM
Nothing prevents you from applying the spell & HD limits from BX.
If you were happy with those limitations, do them again.

5e says you get x cantrips, feats/ASIs, x # of subclass features, skills, backgrounds, prof bonus, etc.
Nothing though forces you to use them.

I once ran a game in which 3 players played a suit of armor. One player played the head, another the upper body, and another the lower body. My players have decided they want to recreate the character(s) in our upcoming 5e game. How would you handle it?
One entity, 3 actions per turn, one for each player.
the Legs player also control the movement, and should be a mobile class such as monk or rogue.
the Head player is a full caster.
the body player is a melee class.
For social interaction it require a solution, to avoid the head player take all the job.

NotAYakk

Legend
Head is a hexblade warlock. When worn the pact of the blade blade appears in the hand, and the head can make it swing, doing a cha-based attack.

Body is a Fighter. Sentinal feat (to protect head). Sword+Board.

Legs are a barbarian with the unarmed combat feat. Or feet. Whatever. Wearing half-plate. Namely the leg half.

Unarmed attacks roll 1d6: 1-2 legs, 3-5 body, 6 head. Small creatures on the ground (or medium prone foes) roll 1d4, Tiny (or small prone foes) roll 1d3, without a reach weapon.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
As the DM, this is no problem to set up:

Place three cursed items in the party's way.

• Cursed helm that looks like the classic Helm of Teleportation a wizard might want.
  • Cursed Gauntlets with the cleric's religious symbolism on them.
  • Cursed Greaves like a fighter might want.

When you put them on poof you're transformed/merged into the appropriate, animated pieces of armor that works exactly the way you intend.

Off you go.

MxBaticeer

Villager
Mostly, the problem is that we want the helmet to have something to do, but not overly magical. In BX, it was a magic-user, which mean casting only a handful of spells per game. In D&D 5e, it's be like having lazer eyes, which I'm not keen on.
You could just build the character without any damage-dealing cantrips and then he's not doing cantrip damage every round. (I'd do a warlock maybe?) Yeah it's not optimal but if you're playing the head of an animated armor I suspect your players aren't too fussed about things like optimizing their damage output, and it shouldn't matter as long as the PCs are balanced against each other.

Remove ads