Recruiting -- S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Gold

Vertexx69

First Post
As you skim Bo9S, remember that a nasty AC is really hard to get. King Grommet can occasionally give someone a +9 shield bonus to AC against a single attack, but getting into the 30s is no easy task. With 2 spells Grommet can get up to an AC 38 conceivably, but that is the extreme upper end of the scale for our lvl. And he is a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator for the record ;p

grufflehead

First Post
@ S@squ@tch - been thinking about my PC a bit (not sure whether the insomnia was caused by it, or I just took advantage of being awake in the wee small hours...). Now we're getting a 'proper' caster in Dragonwriter (not a dabbler like I was planning) I think I may re-work my guy and just stick to shooting. The casting was so minor, I'm not sure what it really added, so will put some numbers down for a modified sheet once I get home. The new version can throw Tracking, a decent Diplomacy skill (which last time I looked wasn't too well covered), and a couple of minor group buffs in along with ranged combat so should still be able to fill a niche.

Xaositek

First Post
Alright, having looked things over, I think I'm not likely to be able to get my AC up into the mid-thirties without sacrificing a lot at the altar of defense, so I'm going to go a bit more offensive with a Warblade/Tempest - maybe with a level of fighter, I haven't picked exact details yet.

Are UA Flaws allowed?

Last edited:

Xaositek

First Post
Hmmm. The more I look at it the more I think Tempest might not be the answer - I can't quite get my defenses high enough that I'd really be comfortable standing next to a giant and letting it get a full attack, and if I don't want to do that, then I can't rely on getting full attacks myself, which makes TWF less attractive. Doing some quick redesign, then I'll post the sheet.

EDIT: Sheet posted. Background isn't fully fleshed out yet, as I don't know what the easiest way for me to meet up with the party would be - I'm open to suggestions. I'm currently using a Keen weapon, but if it would make sense for my character to be actively hunting giants I'll likely swap that over to a Giantbane one.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
OK, 3rd time lucky. Some good advice from one of the other players so I've ditched the overcomplicated combo of classes I was looking at and gone for something streamlined, simple and hopefully filling his 'role' well.

I've got a bit of cash unspent but it's late here and I don't want to rush into something so will leave that til tomorrow.

As it is an Eberron-set game are we using Action Points? I also have 1 feat still unassigned so if the answer to that is yes, then I'm going to go for Action Surge from the Eberron book.

Other than that, still need to jot down a background, but I think I'm good to go once the GM approves.

s@squ@tch

First Post
OK, 3rd time lucky. Some good advice from one of the other players so I've ditched the overcomplicated combo of classes I was looking at and gone for something streamlined, simple and hopefully filling his 'role' well.

I've got a bit of cash unspent but it's late here and I don't want to rush into something so will leave that til tomorrow.

As it is an Eberron-set game are we using Action Points? I also have 1 feat still unassigned so if the answer to that is yes, then I'm going to go for Action Surge from the Eberron book.

Other than that, still need to jot down a background, but I think I'm good to go once the GM approves.

Your PC looks VERY similar to one in the Black group! :)

scary similar

s@squ@tch

First Post
Hmmm. The more I look at it the more I think Tempest might not be the answer - I can't quite get my defenses high enough that I'd really be comfortable standing next to a giant and letting it get a full attack, and if I don't want to do that, then I can't rely on getting full attacks myself, which makes TWF less attractive. Doing some quick redesign, then I'll post the sheet.

EDIT: Sheet posted. Background isn't fully fleshed out yet, as I don't know what the easiest way for me to meet up with the party would be - I'm open to suggestions. I'm currently using a Keen weapon, but if it would make sense for my character to be actively hunting giants I'll likely swap that over to a Giantbane one.

It made some sense for the original PC's to possibly have giant-bane weapons, as they signed up to track down some giants, but I would prefer that secondary and tertiary new-PC's not have them, unless they have a very good background reason to have them. That's my $0.02. :)

Xaositek

First Post
Alright, I'll stick to Keen then - it has a little synergy with my Warblade bonus to confirming crits.

And speaking of being a tertiary character, do you have any preferences for how we should be introduced, or should we come up with our own ideas?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
hey s@s just seeing if I can be put on a list for alts or whatever for when you need another player. Been trying to follow along as it says you are recuriting but have no ideal whose whom or any of that.

Thanks and have fun everyone.

HM

Remove ads