Recruitment for Greyhawk campaign

Dozen

First Post
EDIT: WE'RE FULL. The party consists of a Wizard(support build, played by ENWorld's famous RUMBLETiGER), a Monk (defensive, played by Funkmaster Rick), an Artificer(a horde master by Serapheguin) and a Ranger(a headhunter played by one who calls himself... Rob) so far. iwantmantmyjetpack has been banned for unsavory behavior and his fighter is henceforward a minor NPC(I figured out most of the concept anyway).

I'm looking for 2-4, (kinda) first level PCs for a 3.5 campaign we'd play on the net. I wanted to start forever now, and finally, my other options exhausted, I rely on random recruitment and hope it doesn't bite me back in the nads. Please don't abuse my position:blush:

The plot will, barring a derail, will mostly play out in Brennethar County, Sunndi a few years after the Greyhawk Wars, revolving around a border incident with Glorvardum. Low combat, roleplaying is welcome.

I expect characters to have motivations and a decent backstory, which strongly influences how much cheese I let you get away with. Should it turn out particularly good... I might let a little ECL, famously smelly character options, or an item outside your price range among your starting equipment here and there slide;) But only if justified!

I'm very lenient regarding sources(In trade I request you discuss your progression with me every time you level up). Core books and any third party book I own have an automatic free pass, save for Savage Species. Rules from Races of War are used in place for Monster characters. Pathfinder sources(Including main classes from the PFSRD, only with 3.5 hit dice, which I employ for NPCs regardless of your choice) may be also used unless otherwise noted. Mark them with a (P) on your character sheet for ease of use. I yoinked the Fly skill, Called Shots, magic item rules and progression from PF, as well. While I do discourage material from the Tomes, Homebrew and Dandwiki, you can still use said sources, given you're reasonable about it.
As new players at my table, you are entitled to the Common Sense bonus feat, which forces the DM(me, hopefully) to warn you a given number of times per day whenever you'd try to do something unintentionally suicidal. Since the campaign is purposefully easy, Optimization is not necessary - which doesn't mean you can't do it. Flaws can be taken at will, Traits are assigned by me(I listen to requests though), and the only thing I explicitly ban without exception is the Leadership feat. You can play any race, any class, use any ACF. Feel free to live out your wildest fantasies as long as you don't break anything.

Anyone who would like to play may post a character sheet here or send it to me in PM. Roll for stats if you want, or use a 75 point array.

Last edited:

Valthos

First Post
Hey,

First of all, good luck in finding players! I might be interested in playing but can I clarify a few points?

What will be the game medium? I.e., will it be PbP, Maptools, d20pro, etc?

What time and day you planning on running?

Another quick question, how are you planning on running this, by that I mean, mostly short adventures or a long running campaign with a (big backstory), etc?

I am not too familiar with the Greyhawk universe, so do you think a character like that would be totally lost in your campaign?

And last, but not least, I think you may have typed a number wrong in that 76 point array cause that is insanely high. I mean that allow almost all stats to be 18 right from the start!

Dozen

First Post
What will be the game medium? I.e., will it be PbP, Maptools, d20pro, etc?

I planned to play on Rolz.org. I never heard of d20pro, though. Might check it out.

EDIT: Nope, d20pro is out of question.

What time and day you planning on running?

So far, Wednesday and Friday evening(GMT 0) seem to fit. both I and RUMBLETiGER(the Wizard's player) have flexible schedules however.

Another quick question, how are you planning on running this, by that I mean, mostly short adventures or a long running campaign with a (big backstory), etc?

I don't plan so much as I hope you won't derail it from becoming a long one. I like to keep all options open for my players. Should you decide to scratch the whole dwarf business and, say, assassinate the Olvenking, work as a mercenary in Dullstrand, take Castle Greyhawk for yourself, challenge Mordekainen and pals just for the kicks, or dissolve the Empire of Iuz from the inside, you absolutely can. Just keep in mind the world keeps running no matter where you are. The Iron League, the last remaining undisputed bastion of good on Flanaess, will still have to settle it's score with their (possibly former) allies, weakening them to a serious extent. It's not hard to hook you up in here, a messy kindom is one full of opporturnities for all alignments, personalities and motivations. That's why I picked it!:)

I am not too familiar with the Greyhawk universe, so do you think a character like that would be totally lost in your campaign?

RUMBLETiGER asked the very same question!
Most of what your character is aware of depends on where they come from. But everyone save for those living alone under a rock knows belief shapes the planes(as per Planescape, to justify every race and origin), and the basic implications behind the fact. Assuming your character was born on Flanaess(doesn't have to be), they should have heard of the Greyhawk Wars, if not experienced it firsthand. Beyond is the realm of Knowledge checks, philosophy, and possibly your background. A farmhand from rural Naerie will have no idea of the realms beyond his reach. He only knows of the most basic worldly info, like how Naerie got new leaders when he was a child, because officials wouldn't shut up about it, there was some War that they tried to call him to arms for, etcetera.

Now, should you want a character from another world who migrated here for whatever reason, you can do that, too. Pick a setting you like, and don't sweat it.

And last, but not least, I think you may have typed a number wrong in that 76 point array cause that is insanely high. I mean that allow almost all stats to be 18 right from the start!

I said Array, not Pointbuy. It means you start from zero, and distribute the points where you wish. The Standard Array you use for NPCs is 63 points(11x3+10x3 for the most part because you can't stat out everyone), the Elite array for monsters is 72 points(6x12 or 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8 usually). PC stats should look something like your party member's, here: STR:10 DEX:10 CON:16 INT:18 WIS:11 CHA:10
Not so steep, is it? 76 was a typo though, I meant to say 75.

Last edited:

iwantmyjetpack

First Post
Sounds great, except for starting out at level freaking 1. Dear god my DM here in Bellingham always runs low level games, and never anything above level 4. All my rage and fury.

Also, sent you a PM.

Dozen

First Post
Sounds great, except for starting out at level freaking 1. Dear god my DM here in Bellingham always runs low level games, and never anything above level 4. All my rage and fury.

I planned it to last a lot longer than that!:) Do me a favor not letting the rest of the party derail the plot too much and you're set until at least 11th level.

Last edited:

Valthos

First Post
Gotcha on all the questions. Thanks for the answers and yeah mixed up on the stat array part.

Loved the freedom on character building and I don't mind starting at level 1, but I think the time difference really screws it up for me.

Since it would be evening time at GMT 0 it would probably mean mid afternoon for me (GMT -3) and I usually work until about 8-9 p.m. on week days my time... So although I would love it, this kinda rules out long sessions from Sundays to Thursdays and it would also mean that games can only start at midnight or later in GMT 0 on Fridays which is really unreasonable to even think about asking from you guys.

So I guess will bail out on this one so as not to create severe time constraints for the game which would just make this much more difficult to find players.

I wish you guys a great game nonetheless!

iwantmyjetpack

First Post
time_zones_map.gif

Dozen

First Post
Since it would be evening time at GMT 0 it would probably mean mid afternoon for me (GMT -3) and I usually work until about 8-9 p.m. on week days my time... So although I would love it, this kinda rules out long sessions from Sundays to Thursdays and it would also mean that games can only start at midnight or later in GMT 0 on Fridays which is really unreasonable to even think about asking from you guys.
I live in the +1 area, actually. RUMBLETiGER is from -5, and he had no problems coming around. More importantly, I use the Everyman's Sleep Schedule. Not only I can afford to stay awake, I'd get a hell of a headache if I didn't.

Last edited:

Remove ads